So, what's up with 7040?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps; but there was been a very marked upsurge in activity the last eighteen months or so.

I'm not sure all this activity is actually radio amateurs. I am hearing what sounds like WSPR on many frequencies, including the very bottom of 20 and 15m, and several spots in the 19m broadcast band, including on 15 MHz and 15400 KHz.

Is anyone else hearing what sounds like WSPR or a similar mode on all these frequencies?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! But you probably know the practicality of that.

(By the way, tell Jake Lucky says "Hello!")

K3XR likes this.
  3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tons of WSPR there! But should it all sound the same pretty much...and WEAK? What I hear sounds like beacon tones and varying sorts of signals fading in and out. Some VERY strong!

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Evidently the WSPR stuff is on 7038.6, which must be the "carrier" frequency that isn't there, so it's really problematic on 7040.

What a bad frequency choice. I hear it all the time on 7040, day and night. Varies in intensity but never seems to go away.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, if you go here 7.0386 is listed as the WSPR frequency for 40 meters.

http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map

6. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard of people hitting FT8 with 600W. People can wspr as loud as they want, I suppose. Or maybe you're really close. WSPR sounds like a solid, wavering tone, and it'll be loud if you have good signal.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that mean they are running 600W of power on FT-8 or are they interfering with FT-8 "hitting" it with 600W? Just curious.

8. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha! The explanation offered was that you use the minimum power that will allow communication...

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, I should have figured that out. By the way, it's the "desired communication", check the rules and regs.

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7040 was the North America QRP calling freq for at least 25 yrs, and probably longer than that. Pretty much useless for QRP now.

N7BKV likes this.