So, what's up with 7040?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than that it is a digimode and seems to be on all the damn time, has anyone figured out what/where it is yet?

N7BKV likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How strong is the signal where you are?

I notice the same thing here on 7040...but it's not terribly strong (maybe 6 dB above noise level) and I make contacts right over it.

If 50 stations would report in regarding "strength" vs. "location," we could probably figure out approximately where it is.

3. WB5YUZ

Okay, right now it's S-7 on my vertical delta here near Austin. This antenna models out with 0 dBi gain, so that's actually a fairly strong signal. The antenna also has a fairly low take-off angle.

It isn't audible all day here, but fades in and, later, out. I will try and make note of when it fades in and out, but I can already tell you it seems to fade in about the same time the D-layer goes away every evening, so it may be east of me somewhere.

I actually detect two carriers, one just above and the other just below 7040. One is much louder than the other. Every now and then one carrier will break briefly.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

7.040 is now a "digital watering hole" for some digi-mode.

Too bad - it's been a mainstay calling/QRP frequency for CW for many decades

I did notice during NAQP CW last week that the digital folks took a break from 7.040 and CW reigned again.

Dave
    W7UUU

KW6LA and WB5YUZ like this.
  5. WB5YUZ

Thanks, Dave. Does anyone know what mode?

I think much of the time I am hearing one station. It seems to almost always be on! It always sounds the same, two carriers as described above, and it fades in and out according to the time of day, so it's not local. It is already down to about S-5 here, now.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm sure LOTS of folks do - I'm not much of a digital op outside of occasional FT8 (very occasional).... pretty sure some flavor of PSK but I've not done a lot of searching

But I'm sure folks will chime in.

What I DON'T get is why they picked one of the most classic CW frequencies of all time - 7.040 and not something more akin to the FT8 / JT65 / JT9 part of the band.

What's next? 7.030? :(

Dave
    W7UUU

VE3BXG and W4CDO like this.
  7. WB5YUZ

Now (0543) it's pretty much gone.

8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm hearing - something on 7040 at 12:58. I know 7040 was used for PSK in the UK but not for a while now, but this isn't a PSK31 signal. It doesn't sound like any kind of digital mode that I'm familiar with. Sounds almost like a steady AM carrier here.

9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

@WB5YUZ I'm in the Austin area as well. At times the freq is just screaming in. It's a shame (for me anyway) because I am 99.457% CW and that was a popular freq.
    Still interested in what the sig if for, the mode, etc.

10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR

WB5YUZ likes this.