So very tired of the SD card process...Yaesu FT3DR

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AE4CH, Oct 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sound like an old man, complaining about trivialities, but it helps to write.

Trying to get ready for a trip, so I thought I would use RT Systems software to load repeaters for my destinations. Not terribly difficult, but if you miss a step you overwrite existing memories, and have to start over. "Start on row" field is quite important.

Loading the new info into the FT3DR, again, so many little steps. Most aggravating, I suppose, is that when you read data from the SD card, all bank names are erased. Back to bank 1, bank 2, bank 3... Great...now I get to deal with the tiny menu screen on the radio to rename them to 2 Meter, 70 Centimeter, and the two ZIP codes chosen for the trip. Can Yaesu be any more silly in how they choose to enter characters? Forever and a day to get "2 Meter" as a band name, with all the backspacing, and old fashioned "texting" to select the correct letter and case.

Write data, read data, then set the radio up to use "banks" rather than memory channel numbers. It used to be that way, but the minute you read new SD card data into the radio, it reverts from "band" to "memory" and you have to go back to reset all that.

So, after 30 minutes, I think I am set. Banks 1, 2 and 3 are for my local area. Bank 4 is for 37923. Bank 5 is set for 28702. I sure hope they work.

And, I hope people talk on 2m and 70cm. I am sorely disappointed in the lack of communication on these two bands. Sure, HF is better, but I am still thinking about how to set up my first HF antenna and choose my first HF radio. Until then, I am stuck. Hopefully on the hike to Shuckstack Firetower, I can raise someone on the FT3DR HT. I have a SRH770S antenna, reputedly better than most.

(Don't get me started on this C4FM failing to connect, by the way. I turn into the angry Martian from Bugs Bunny cartoons and look for my explosive space demodulator when I try to use C4FM.)

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My first exposure to the "SD" card (more like a wafer) was when I got my first Digital Camera. Amazing how many photos I can store in the camera and download to my computer now !
    Recently I got a new IC7300, quite a big jump in Tech, from all my previous radios and it Required a SD card.
    Not sure If I will ever use the functions it supports , but at least it's in the slot !! :rolleyes:

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are they really? I use RT Systems to program my FT-1DR via an SD card and I've never seen the bank names erased - that is the only way I've ever entered bank names...

Martin (G8FXC)

4. AE4CH

AE4CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps I need to use RT Systems software to name the banks, as I add the repeaters?

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't read closely to follow your steps to clearly understand. However RTS writes to the radio via cable or creates file on SD card as if you are cloning one radio to another or creating a radio save as if card was in radio. So the target radio (yours) gets overwritten by what RTS create. No bank name in RTS then none will be in radio. Sometimes best to read the radio to capture any changes you make at the radio. Save to new file name to keep work already done at the computer.
    Good Luck!
    Mike