So the DX QSL question is.....

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N2SUB, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When a DX station requests an SASE + $1 for a direct QSL, does that mean they require DX postage on a self addressed envelope (which I do 100% for DX AND SS), or do they require a SASE (with DX postage) plus an additional green stamp? If I'm reading this requirement correctly, not only will the DX station be able to send a return card at no cost to them, but they will be making a buck for each card they send. How many other expenses do I have to cover for the DX station besides all of his postage and mailing supplies? :confused: I am a reasonable guy, but this is a hobby after all.

A few years ago we had an exchange student who told us that the biggest thing she learned during her year in the US was "Not all Americans are rich". Es verdad amigo, es verdad.

2. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they mean SAE only , without DX stamps.

Lot of DX stations don't know what is it SASE or SAE .

3. N2SUB

Thanks for your response Vlad. That's exactly what I thought until I read this in the comment section of a station on QRZ....from an English-speaking country:

"US $2.00 AND FAE. NO IRC"S. NO BURO"

I guess I remember the days when a station, no matter where they were located, appreciated the return postage. I suspect many still do, and I am happy to send it
    :) But, times are tough on everyone these days, and I would hate to see DX chasing become too expensive for the average ham. Based on this comment, with an 80% return rate it would cost $625 to get DXCC....and then you still need to pay application fees and for the award itself. The biggest risk is to take the time and effort of sending a card only to have it tossed aside because it does not contain money. My setup is small, and I don't make a lot of DX contacts, so I take each QSO personally and feel a connection to the other operator. I can't help but feel sad that the feeling seems not to be mutual. :(

OR, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man who misses the days or call books. :rolleyes:

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's why LoTW is such a great deal...DXCC is less than 1/10th that price to get credits and pay the fees through LoTW.

Of course, then you miss you on the great cards (I love receiving paper), but it definitely saves a lot in terms of time and postage.

Dave
    K3DCW

5. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

If the DX is asking for money, don't send stamps also, just the self-addressed envelope.

There's no question about it - QSLing for rare and semi-rare DX *IS* expensive. If you want the QSL, you'll have to pay the postage both directions (and sometimes a bit more on top of that) if they don't do the bureau. Some ask for $3, $4, or more. A station in Iran asks for $7. Some of these are only covering their legitimate return postage expenses, though some are clearly padding their pockets. If it's not worth it to you, wait and work someone else that will provide a QSL via the bureau, OQRS, or at what you think is a fair cost.

OQRS is making QSLing easier, but probably no less expensive and I think it's great that many DX are moving to online payments for QSLs.

6. N2SUB

I think this is called "spreading the wealth" in these economic times. :p

I've been out of the game for a few years as my logbook shows. I have discovered LoTW and I think it is great. What is OQRS?

7. N7SMI

N7SMI Ham Member QRZ Page

It stands for Online QSL Request Service. There are various services (ClubLog, m0urx.com, etc.) that a DX can engage with to allow folks to request QSL cards online without having to mail your card, money, envelopes, etc. Many allow you to request a bureau card at no cost. Or you can pay a small amount (typically $3 or so via PayPal) and they'll send you a card directly via the mail.

While you lose some of the allure of your own card travelling around the world, it's a very convenient and generally less expensive service ($3 is typically less than postage both directions, your QSL card, envelopes, time, etc.). I've received many of my OQRS-requested cards in a week or two when it would have been at least a year or more via the bureau.

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OQRS is the Cat's meow!! I wish everyone used it. I told my wife that at $3-$5 a card, I could easily spend hundreds, if not thousands, getting cards. Her response was, "well, it's what you like to do, so what?". She's the BEST!!! And I love looking at the cards hanging on the wall. LOTW just doesn't do it for me. Tried the eQSL thing too, where you can print the cards off if you want. That didn't do it either, and I would have spent a a lot in INK.

Using the QSL bureaus is cheaper, but WAY slow. It's all relative, cost-wise. I keep riding my 20 year old snowmobile and ten year old motorcycle. Radio is where I spend my hobby money. Plus dropping some on my wife once in a while. Works for us. :)

9. N2SUB

Thanks, I will definitely look into OQRS. It sounds like a great deal, and I don't mind losing a little allure. ;)

10. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've also had a few DX stations request that I pay for the postage via PayPAL, which is actual a little simpler than OQRS. But OQRS is a great system, at least the ClubLog one, I haven't used the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.