ad: dxeng

So tell me about those $15 eBay antenna tuners...

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC3RN, Jun 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for a micro size tuner for my "go kit", and these seem adequate. Has anyone built one? How does it perform? I'm not looking for the world here, just an adequate match.

Also, does anyone see any reason why I can't substitute a pair of banana jacks/binding posts for the BNC antenna connector? I'll primarily be using a random wire with a counterpoise.

Thanks!

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you be willing to post a link?

Ed

3. KC3RN

4. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Looks like the tuning range is 30-300ohms. Not a very wide range at all. I have to doubt it could handle a random wire.

And 3 watts input while tuning. Very light duty components. I'm thinking magnet wire.

But for $11 shipped it's a fairly cheap gamble.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"This kit welding, making easy to understand, easier to learn, easy to use. Comes with standing instructions, Q9 type interface (such as the need to own M-type interface), using T-topology networks, QRP facilitate communication with low-power transceivers (shoes, frogs, octopus, etc.) used to make transceiver and antenna effective match to meet your emission requirements, ensure efficient communication transceivers"

See? It works with shoes, frogs, AND octopus!!

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MH, WB5YUZ and W1TRY like this.
  6. AA7QQ

What wattage would you run into it? To me, the "Indicator bridge" looks only good to a couple watts. HArd to tell. You MAY incur duties. You are also looking at probably a month before it shows. You can probably go to the local dump & find the parts to build one by that time. THat's the route I would take, because I am just a scrounger like that.

Ed

7. AA7QQ

I think a person could make a living offering a "Chinese Ebay grammar correction" service.

Ed

WZ7U likes this.
  8. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly. For example, their specs. as written present suggest either a long break-in period, or a long time to tune up:

Key Features:
    Days when exposed to tune straight power: <20W
    Days when adjusting the input power tuning: <3W

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Those film variables are the limiting factor and wont take much to arc thru.

Carl

10. KC3RN

LOL Dave!!!!!

I've scratch-built a similar indicator bridge before, and run over 10 watts into it with no problems. I'll only be running 5 watts, so both the bridge and tuner shouldn't have any problems. I've ordered from China before, and 7-10 days is the usual turnaround, not 30. For $15, I'll pass on the dumpster diving. No duties, either.

It's actually much faster to get a single order from China than it is to get an entire container. It comes via air mail, not a container ship.