So just passed the Extra exam yesterday, vanity call

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KM6XP, Mar 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hats_off[1].gif
    congratulations_fireworks_1_.gif

73 CARMEN.jpg

KM6XP likes this.
  2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on the upgrade!

I prefer the call to have more personal meaning than just going for a rare call. I originally changed my call to have my initials which I was very happy with. My best friend since I was 12 punched his ticket and we had this little group with several other friends and his brother while we were still in middle / high school. (Sonzobitches) So we both took on that name (SZO) in our call. We used to write software under the name Sonzo Soft. While that's gone, I still make wine under the name Sonzo Cellars. You can see some of my wine bottles / labels on my profile page.

When we both login to a net one after another. It really trips up net control. :D

W1TRY, KM6XP and K1LKP like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DAVID,
    CONGRATS ON YOUR WINE MAKING.

K1SZO likes this.
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a historical note. K6X?? 1x3 call signs weren't allowed for a long time. They became available in 1987, but were never issued until the vanity call sign program began in 1996. The few hams with a K6X?? call sign today got it through the vanity program.

5. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting history, I decided on a 2x2, KM6XP, I am a SSB phone only operator and the 2x2 just flowed easier.

6. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KM6XP is a very nice call. I would have picked AA6XP (which is available), but that's just personal preference.

BTW, I made a typo in my previous post. It was 1978 (when the current sequential call sign system started), not 1987 when X suffix call signs became available. Before that, no X suffix calls (1x2, 1x3 or 2x3 in any district) were available (although it looks like W3XO got his call a little earlier). After 1978, only 2x3 X-suffix calls are not allowed. They are reserved for FCC experimental licenses,

7. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on making Extra ! I opted for a 1x3 vanity call when I made General class. No competition for the 1x3s.

8. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Another dumb question, does QRZ cross reference my old call when I switch or do I just start over? I assume it’s starting from scratch.

9. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They convert your account. Not sure about your logbook. You might check in the logbook forum.