So just passed the Extra exam yesterday, vanity call

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KM6XP, Mar 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Want to get a new call, not sure I want to play the 1x2 or 2x1 game. Am I correct that if I find a 2x2 that has never been issued I can apply for it and it will be assigned to me? I have pulled up several combos that have no history.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure! Give it a go! 1x2 calls are pretty hard to win but 1x3, 2x2, etc. are a lot easier to get if available

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KM6XP

Thx, I am assuming that if the call is not assigned it’s gonna be mine unless somebody beats me to it.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That isn't quite true. When a call sign expires, and is not renewed, it is held as "unavailable" for a period of two years. For example, my call sign. It will be up for renewal next year. If I don't renew it, it will not be available for another two years. During those two years, I could reclaim my call sign. If you tried to apply for it, before it becomes "available", your request would be immediately rejected.

To look for available call signs try RadioQTH or AE7Q. I find the RadioQTH site the easiest to deal with. On RadioQTH you can see what call signs are available and, for those that are not immediately available, when they will become available. That gives you a good idea of when you need to apply.

But don't overlook 1x3 callsigns. There is nothing special any more about 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2 call signs any more. They don't get you any more privileges, than the Extra class license got you. If you search for 1x2s that start with say K7, you will only find 2 or three that may be "coming available". All the rest are either "already applied for" or have long waits. Whereas, if you search for 1x3s that start with K7, you will get more than 50 call signs that are "immediately available." The 2x2 call signs also seem to be plentiful, but they are just as long as a 1x3..

Congratulation on getting your Extra!

AF7XI likes this.
  5. KM6XP

Thanks but there is no record of a few combos I pulled up, I would assume if it was ever assigned it would show up?

Thanks for the advice.

6. K7MEM

Show up where? I have no idea where you are looking or what you are looking for.

I'm not trying to badger you. I just want to make sure your not wasting your time.

A call sign is categorized, on RadioQTH, as either "Immediately Available", "Application Filed", or "Available in XXX days". If you do a search for a specific call sign, and it comes up with "No call signs found matching the specified criteria." it means that it is an active call sign and not available.

You can also look up call signs on QRZ. Even call signs that are expired. The information area will tell you when it expired. But not when it will be available. If you enter a call sign that isn't valid, it will tell you. But that doesn't mean it's available.

If you are looking on the FCC web site, and you come up with "No matches found", that doesn't necessarily mean that it has never been assigned. It may also mean that the call sign you are searching for, is not a valid amateur call sign.

But it is possible that you have happened on valid call signs, that have never been assigned. If that's the case, and no one else beats you to it, you will get it.

Good luck with your search.

7. KM6XP

Thanks, I was checking both FCC and RadioQTH. I was looking for K6XPK and KM6XP, both have no history and aren’t coming up on either site, I assume they are valid? Both are just my initials. Xavier Piequet, my last name is pronounced “PK”.

8. K7MEM

Yup. I looked them up and they both appear to be valid call signs. The first one, K6XPK, you are eligible for right now. The second one, KM6XP, is Advanced or Extra class, so you will have to wait for your upgrade to be posted, before you can apply. If you apply before your upgrade is posted, your request could be rejected.

6 land is probably one of the most difficult areas to get a 1x2 or 2x1 call sign. But the 2x2 call signs seem to be readily available. Although, for the KM6X[A-Z] call sign group, there are 19 already assigned.

Good luck getting the one you want.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the upgrade.

KM6XP likes this.
  10. KM6XP

So my ticket change to Extra finally showed up in the FCC system today. I also applied for a new call sign, there were a couple 1x2 and 2x1 available but they were not that great, did not flow well and had 7 syllables with no special meaning. I decided on a 2x2 that was available, flowed well, 8 syllables, same prefix as my current call and included my initials. Completed the application online so I should have it in what, 18 days?

New call requested: KM6XP

Done in 6 months and 2 days since I was issued my Tech license. My wife says, so you are finally finished with Ham radio studying, I laughed and said, this was only the beginning, lol.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    KV6O and K1SZO like this.