So I've returned to the world of QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3RN, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a really active QRPer from about 2014 until May of 2017, when I got bitten by the digital bug. I started on JT-65, and moved to FT-8 in July when the software was released. It was/is fun, but recently I was starting to get that "been there, done that" feeling. So I dug out my MFJ-9200 last week, and put it on the air.

I had forgotten how much fun QRP/CW is, even with my somewhat compromised antenna system. I even decided to get out another old radio - my Kenwood TS-130, and dedicate it to QRP ops. Yes, the bands have been less than optimal, and my time has been somewhat limited, but I'm having a ball. And the 130 is fun to operate. Not a lot of bells or whistles, but it works. Between the narrow filter and the IF Shift I'm not having any trouble picking out the signals I want. Yes, it doesn't have the fancy DSP processing like my FT-450, but I don't miss it at all.

It took a few QSOs to get my CW "chops" back, but I'm doing okay. I'm comfortable at about 17 wpm. I can go up to 20 wpm, as long as you don't ask me too many questions...;)

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Glad to be back.

US7IGN and N1OOQ like this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back! I'll be looking for you on 40. I'll put your copying skills to a real stress test, I'm sure. I did the digital thing, too. Done with it. Ain't going back.

Al

3. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome backĀ”

I think about trying digital modes... but then the simplicity of my 1977 TenTec-C21 and a mechanical key calls me back from the brink.

[​IMG]

US7IGN likes this.
  4. KC3RN

The digital modes have their own appeal, but I agree. I think it's the simplicity of CW with a low power rig is actually more interesting. I ran QRP on FT-8 for a while, very recently. In reality, my results were just slightly worse than when I would run 50-75 watts.... It's a great way in chalk up a large number of QSOs in a short period of time, but it's kind of impersonal.

I learned a LOT from running digital. Mostly about the effectiveness of my station, and my antennas in particular. Now I need to apply that knowledge to real QRP work.

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. KC3RN

Al, give me a call on 40 if you hear me! I also like to hang out on 3560 in the evening.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

3560 is Very Popular recently.. Band has been pretty good !