so I want to buy a bug .. never thought I would say that!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NE1U, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't do these posts often, but one final suggestion. When I started the bug with my left hand, I did a little at a time. Meaning I would send a few words and then let it rest. As little stress as possible and no judgment other than recognition that it could be much better. Let the brain work out the connections for a while. A few days later, the same. Sounds unconventional, but for me it works and I think maybe because I'm not reinforcing all those early mistakes with more early mistakes. Take your time. Slowly advance your speed and things will work out.
    I try to bug some, and I try to cootie some, but when I'm using rustic cw, I usually pull out what I'm comfortable with for qsos, my Vibroplex SK. If I tire, then I switch to the left hand and bug. Then I may switch back to my right hand and the Bencher iambic. Try something similar sometime. It's fun. Determine not to lose the skills you have already achieved. Add to those skills slowly and with good humor. Walk the path and you will arrive.
    73, Jim

NE1U likes this.
  2. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

K5TSK ... it never occurred to me that multiple different keys might be in my future much less lefty or righty!

I am not really down on myself. I guess I am surprised that after a week of getting the feel of a cootie, that I have advanced already to the letter "E" in the alphabet.o_O 20 wpm seems easier than 15 and definitely much easier than 10. I'll just say that 20 wpm is the current sweet spot for my sending with a cootie. The letter "F" has become the current challenge within this challenge. And, it is not frustrating ... perhaps that is as surprising about myself as much as I am at how clutsy I feel.

But, knowing that many have succeeded and realizing that it took time, as all languages do, I am encouraged. But that left or right hand thing tho WOW just WOW:eek:

3. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

You owe me one screen cleaning!

That's me, too...for the last 41 years. I plug in a cootie and go to practice. "Let's do the alphabet!"

A: Dit DAAAAHHHHHHHHH(oh, right. It's a cootie, let up.)
    B: DAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH(oh, right...) Dit Dit Dit (with the same finger)
    C: DAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH(darnit!) Dit DAAAAHHH(gettin' better!) Dit

...and as Linda Ellerbee would say, "So it goes."

I can use a cootie as well as Amelia Earhart could, so I guess I'm improving...

(Amelia Earhart never learned Morse code, so she could not understand the directions the Navy radio ops were trying to give her. That led in fairly short order to her running out of gas and being lost.)

Chuck VE7PJR

NE1U likes this.
  4. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VE7PJR That's hilarious and the way it is.
    Thanks for the laugh.

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Cootie progress ... I have made it to Z! That does not mean that I have reached 100% accuracy in any one pass thru the alphabet tho. F L Q & Y and P & X are not exactly falling off my fingers. But the cadence is coming along. It will right hand only for a while ... a long long looong while.

I was away for a few days, then had to catch up with business before I could coot some more. Being away and never having used anything but sk might have been helpful with my rapid:rolleyes: progress. I really am liking the feel and I have dial down soft. 20 wpm is definitely the starting place for me & this key. Just as well as 20 wpm sk makes me sweat.

6. W5PEH

W5PEH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have retired and have been thinning out the shack. I have a Begali Intrepid in Excellent shape that I am going to sell. Did you ever get a magnetic bug ?? 73 Pete W5PEH

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well this newbie bought a bug as well. Learning on a paddle makes the transition cumbersome and daunting but I'm making progress. If I could send with it as cleanly as Pete, I would be proud.

I manged to slow down my 1948 Vibropex making a 7/8" weight out of stainless on my lathe, easy enough. Making it 3/4" long gave they key about 23 WPM (dits) which seems ok to me (I think). I keep lurking about SKCC area and asking QSOs who don't mind listening to a poor fist on a bug! :)

It's amazing what one will put up with just to get my number! :) Progress!

NE1U likes this.
  8. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

9. IK4EWX

IK4EWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use daily a fast Vibroplex Presentation 1963 and a Begali Intrepid bugs.
    I think the Bagali Intrepid is a great bug, with fine mechanics and wider speed range than the Presentation.
    It is also easier to use.
    If I should buy only one today, I would buy the Begali Intrepid.
    Ian IK4EWX

2017_0514_12505700(2).jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    NE1U likes this.
  10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Coast Guard ops, actually, on board the cutter Itasca.

WN1MB likes this.