so I want to buy a bug .. never thought I would say that!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NE1U, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I may buy a bug as another "adventure", and I'm worried about how much time it will take to master.

I found this info on Morse Express's site -

http://www.morsex.com/pubs/bugs.htm

The conclusion is that dual-lever bugs could be easier to learn, coming from paddles, as there isn't any delay for dot dash transition. While the GHD dual-lever bug is described, I don't see one in their current line-up.

I'm aware I1QOD makes a custom, dual-lever bug, which is designed to work at lower speeds. Where did you find a source for dual-lever bugs?

2. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Regretfully dual-lever is only mentioned here

Well cr@p ... I just realized we looked at the same site.

Another update ... I found this. It needs work as an understatement. A little more that I might have thought about paying.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    W9RAC likes this.
  3. KG7WGX

The I1QOD I was looking at is the Evolution - I1QOD keys - Evolution-Chrome-1.jpg
    The price was $547. These are made to order and I understand it can be 3 months or so ARO before shipping. Also, this is a very small shop, run by a very talented machinist who is, as a lot of us are, getting along in years. If you want one of these, they may not be available forever.

He also makes a J-36 clone (single-lever) and a Prestige model (dual-lever). The specs for the Prestige show it as 14-46wpm, while the Evolution is rated for 10-34wpm.

4. KG7WGX

W3QT has a 1915 double-lever Vibroplex for sale here on QRZ.com for $375 and it doesn't look like a restoration project.

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

... just WOW! Figuring out the nonlinear effect of magnetism (I think it 1/r^2 ... 1/(radius x radius) ) requires serous understanding and cannot be done with only trial & error. Wish I could talk to someone(s) that has used these keys.

I am not finding W3QT's listing.

6. KG7WGX

7. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh my.

I want a bug that I will use. Of course that one looks like it still has a lot of miles or dits ... as the case is. It would be great to hear from a an experience bug guy. But, that bug is a definite maybe.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Champ for Me
    My favorite bug, back when I just passed my General class and wanted to go faster than My J38, was the very common Japan made bug that had many different brand names, mine came from Laffayette Radio in Detroit. it was my favorite because it was the only one that I could afford at around 12 Bucks !!!
    Now I have been using a Vibroplex Champion for the last ten years, and I like it a lot, I made a clip-on extension that I can put on the pendulum to slow it down to about 15 to 12 WPM at the slowest.
    I spent a lot of years after my first bug, using electronic keyers and paddles but still use the bug and J38 a lot for SKCC club events and activities.
    I have not had any other bugs and I am satisfied with the Champ !

9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean the Melehan Valiant. https://gregoryhanson.wordpress.com/melehan-valiant-telegraph-key/

I'm told they didn't work all that well. Very rare, super expensive and not worth it for operating.

I've used J36, TAC CP510, MacKeys, but right up there as my favorite is my Vibroplex Original with the jeweled trunion. It just has a feel of crisp solid action that is excellent. Look at the photos of professional marine radio telegraph ops and they're nearly always using Vibroplex Originals. Later on a few used the Vibrokey paddle and TO Keyer. The Vibroplex 100th anniversary special with the Japanned base is excellent also.

10. KG7WGX

One of the currently-available GHD bugs is like the Melehan Valiant, in that it makes auto dashes as well as dots. But there are other dual-lever bugs which just have an independent paddle for the dash side. No oscillating contact, just an independent paddle.