ad: M2Ant-1

so I want to buy a bug .. never thought I would say that!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NE1U, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to do enough whining to get Donnie to make one last weight, his shop is basically closed for any manufacture he said. I've never had any key/paddle other than single lever. I got cold feet from the two lever design so I ordered a Vibroplex (canceled I1QOD), again. DX engineering, got it today, next day after order was placed, that's fast and one reason I order from them. I'll but it on air tomorrow at 20 wpm, been off a bug for few months so may take a bit of warm up again. I'm hoping at some point to be able to switch between the two someday effortlessly. 73 Rich

2. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny, I have one coming from Donnie 1.9 oz weight.

Told me he is done but regardless he did me a big favor, been there done that don't blame him.

His weights are the best, better than Vibroplex. He will be missed.

W9RAC likes this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

So much for thinking I was a bit out of practice with the bug........ way bad with it. The keyer has destroyed me. 73 Rich

4. K3EY

time practice patience

WN1MB and W7UUU like this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never seen small machine screw sized ones, but I've never looked. I'm thinking "Heli-Coil" inserts. If they're available in machine screw sizes, it might be something to think about.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked at it with an o'scope and it ain't pretty!

My MM-3 Morse Machine must have de-bounce circuitry, because when I use it with that, all good... straight into the rig, ARRGGHHHH! It's awful!

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I worry about the extra weight wearing out the pivots... and I've found that a longer pendulum works better for me. I use a spring type clothes pin on the bar, sticking out the back of my J36. Works better for me.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've had extra weights on my 1960s Vibroplex for the better part of 44 years with zero issues. I really don't think it's too much of a deal, IMO

Dave
    W7UUU

9. K3EY

That pivot with max weight will last longer than you or I.

I was a machinist and aircraft mechanic for over 40 years.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you're right about that... I mean, my "Original" is from 1924 and still works flawlessly, the J36 is from WWII... and still flawless. The Original saw LOTS of use in it's day. The J-36 not so much really.

I'm just sorta AR that way. And, not only can I HEAR the difference, I can SEE it on the scope and on PCW Fistcheck. The longer pendulum forms better dits than the extra weight. Plus, I can still slide the single weight all the way to the hilt and she runs about 25 WPM which is fast enough for me. With the weight out at the clothes pin on the end of the bar, it's about 18 WPM or so.