SO I got this FT-101E the other day...

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by VA3CQC, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3CQC

VA3CQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol, I didn't even need to! That signal is LOUD and clear! I checked all the crystals, they are all what they should be. Actually I found a lot of straaaaaange signals near those ones, other radios perhaps?

Tried tuning up on 15 again, and I absolutely swept the PLATE like crazy while hunting for that tuning spot. It only produces about 3 watts and the tuning is real sharp, not easy. But it is technically producing power.

Where should I go from here?

2. KC9QQM

KC9QQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you got on the air, I am still tweeking mine up. Plus still waiting fro a friend to give me his old tower. Only wierd thing I have found so far is that when I have selected the 40 meter band the preselector for best signal is between 80 and 160! I know it is the right band because I heard a QSO party from Texas calling CQ on 40 meter phone. Ideas why this would be that way?

Jeff
    KC9QQM

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great read! I have a FT101EE I bought new in 1975 (actually parents bought for me). Still works great, always has, just a couple switches that need extra care every once in awhile.

Maybe the tubes are weak on the higher bands, but I doubt it. Could be the bandswitching, if you get in and ohm out the contacts that should be making. YOu already know the basics are working since it works on lower bands.

4. VA3CQC

No, I don't think the tubes are weak in the higher bands (they were at least tested to 75% output), I think it still is in need of neutralization. Or isn't neutralized enough. But it sure produces power, about 125w peak! Sounds allright too, sometimes the bandswitch stops the receive, but a gentle nudge usually clears it up.

As for the preselector question, my preselect is fine, but my plate knob is totally outta wack. Sometimes you turn it off the end of the scale in order to tune up. So my guess is that indicator got knocked around, because the cap still makes a full 360 degree rotation. Same with the preselector, as long as the bands are in order, you'll be fine. Connect to a high-noise source like a short vertical (like a 10m vert on 160m) and make sure the edge-band edges (bottom end of 160 and top end of 29mhz) can be 'selected' using the preselector. Usually the receiver has a nice gentle peak so it's easy to find. As long as the preselector doesn't bottom out, the actual dial-face is irrelevant.

5. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Tubes do not get weak on bands. They are either weak everywhere, or they are not weak everywhere.

The reason that rumor starts is a weak tube shows up more on bands with low circuit gain or performance.

The tube itself is uniformly weak or good on all bands, but because the radio might have less gain on higher bands you might notice the weak tubes more on higher bands or on bands where alignment is off.

6. VA3CQC

I figured the tube's performance wasn't gonna change that much with frequency.

Maybe I need to open it up and play with the little neutralizing cap again? Try to get the "dip" even on both sides... Does it get 'more difficult' on higher bands? I.e. if it's not working initially on say 15m, and I neutralize it sufficiently on 30m, it'll then start close enough on 15m for me to try again? (which would in turn get it close to 12m/10m)

7. VA3CQC

I believe this radio is outputting harmonics, but somehow only in SSB and not in TUNE/CW. I want to know for sure though. Would it make sense to feed an AF single tone into the radio and listen for carriers on multiples of the RF frequency? I figure the output shall be the same in both TUNE and SSB(w/AF signal), but I will not be surprised if it is not.

Also: Is it possible that this radio was _trying_ to output harmonics all along, but they were stopped by either a filter or one of those "Ultimate Transmatch"/"Series-Parallel Capacitor" tuners that also is supposed to double as a lowpass filter? Would something like this give you (the appearance of?) normal operation?

8. VA3CQC

Oh no. I just remembered something. The tuner I got with this radio (I later sold it because I didn't like how it worked, there were like 2 inductor settings WTF? KW107) had one of its caps all burnt from flashing-over!

Could the previous owner have just transmitted in spite of the flashovers?!?!? The burnt plate cap in the radio, the burnt tuner cap, and now my tuner's cap is flashing over too... I don't think this is a coincidence. I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this.

9. KC9QQM

KC9QQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it seems that it has been a while since VA3CQC posted so I'll jump in on my status.

I borrowed my ham clubs freq counter, RF generator, o-scope and dummy load. I was able to tune up the LO and verify the VFO is correct. Put on the dummy load and when through the transmit procedure and with my handy VX-6R as a receiver, I was able to tune and transmit on all the bands up to 30mhz. (Into a dummy load that is) but I had output to the SWR/Power meter and waveform on the scope and I head myself on the VX-6R so I am happy.

Now I just have to get my wire dipole up and tuned right for a band.

Jeff
    KC9QQM

10. VA3CQC

Lucky. I don't think I had any output power still on 15-and-up last time I tried. Gotta try it again some time, I got a really sensitive power meter for it.

One thing came to mind though, I recall someone saying: "If you raise the drive and it reaches 100w, BUT you still haven't reached the end of the DRIVE control's travel, you must not go any further because an excess of drive will damage the tubes."

So, this conditions surely persists on 80m. It peaks before the knob is halfway up. But it seems there is no response UNTIL I reach this region, when I'm trying to tune up on the higher bands. Any clue what this means?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.