ad: InfoStat-1

So I Bought A Swan 350

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF6LJ, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE6RWB

KE6RWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sue I still have one of my Swan's, its a 5oocx, why dont you pick a day and time and we can get some others with Swan's and we can rag chew on 40. Just a thought. I always like firing the old rig up! :cool: They are a blast to operate.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I ONLY didn't hafta work, I could talks to U on my 700CX, which is in perfect operating condition here in the Radio Hospital.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Investigating the audio distortion problem proved to be an exercise in the obvious.

The distortion doesn't happen when listening with headphones.
    Bad speaker....:) I can live with that for now, until a replacement speaker is obtained.
    [​IMG]
    It is nice having an analogue storage scope, even if the stored waveforms are of marginal quality at times. Running one of these is an acquired skill bordering on an art. The waveform you see above has no visible distortion but it is noisy, we will get to that next.
    [​IMG]
    Yup that is 60HZ hum superimposed on the detected audio. On AM (yes I said AM) the modulated signal looks very clean, what you are seeing above is on SSB. Someone had modified the the receiver and repurposed the VOX switch and are using it to kill the BFO. I need to trace that out and see just how they are accomplishing this task.
    Here are a few pictures of the inside of the 350, it is very nice in side both top and bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more....

4. AF6LJ

Here is the VFO PCB
    [​IMG]
    This is mounted under the chassis under the VFO tank circuit inclosure.
    [​IMG]
    RX audio and first IF along with the multi section cap used for decoupling, and AGC bias.
    [​IMG]
    Carrier oscillator TX audio (I think) and balanced mod. The crystal filter is directly above those three tube sockets and is composed of five crystals a coil and some caps. This gives nice gentle sloping skirts and good fidelity for rag chewing.
    [​IMG]
    Carrier oscillator, AGC and front panel controls. Volume far right tune CW switch and RF gain on the far left.
    more....

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It is VERY clean! :D

6. AF6LJ

[​IMG]
    Band switch and VFO amp..
    [​IMG]
    Driver and band switch linkage which controls the VFO band switch section. The Antenna relay is also in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    PA, again the Antenna relay, the RF amp a trap coil and voltage dividers.
    There ya go the buck-fifty tour.

What's next?
    A good alignment and possiably undoing the AM RX mod. That may come first to see if the AC hum on the audio goes away on SSB... If not I shall investigate that a little further.

We are not done yet
    Stay Tuned..................

7. AF6LJ

That sounds like fun.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in. I'd like to hear your rig, too. I'll swing the yagi in your direction. :)

9. AF6LJ

Okay, I will have it on the air for the Turkey Day Net...

10. AF6LJ

I have saved the best for last...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall views of the innerds......
    [​IMG]
    Here is a view of the VFO band switch, There is a strong argument to be made for a better switch.
    more....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.