So I Bought A Swan 350

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF6LJ, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

That power supply looks like a beast!

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that and thought it would be an interesting idea, its implementation would be different in the 350 due to the slightly strange configuration of the VFO. In the VFO the tank circuit components are inclosed in a shielded box, however the PCB that has the active parts on it is mounted under the chassis, more on that later........

3. AF6LJ

It is not really that large, the transformer is a little larger than the one in my HP-23, the way it is put together servicing was not at the top of the list of priorities. I took 27 color 8" X 10" photographs with circles, arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one in order to aid me in putting it back together in a speedy manner. :)

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Cambria X Lock implementation of Huff n Puff is just elegant. I've spent hours reading through the website and related links. I do intend to give this method a try when I select a suitable candidate radio!

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I cant find on the website how much taht Cambria X costs. But from UK it won't be cheap!

6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got the pictures to show up.

Looks like what you got is still all-original (!). 40+ year old electrolytics....should clean up nicely.

That PS is actually pretty small for what it does. Its layout is rather odd, but that's because Swan wanted it to fit a certain size cabinet, to match the rigs it powered.

Yes, the drift may not be bad at all on 75/40/20. Particularly after some warmup. Will be interesting to see just how "bad" it is.

7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're not looking. It's right there at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/x-lock.htm

Why do you say that?

The price given is in British pounds - 33.30 with VAT, 27.75 without. I think export sales don't pay VAT.

27.75 British pounds converts to US $47.51. That's pretty cheap for what it does and what's included in the kit. Particularly if it makes a drifty old rig stable. Plus it's cheaper than any DDS VFO kit I've seen.

8. AF6LJ

Based on what looks like date codes. I'm thinking 1973 on the power supply.
    We know the radio is older :)

It doesn't look there has been any rework, although the workmanship isn't mil-spec in terms of soldering and such, thatis to be expected. The workmanship on the actual radio looks to be a lot better......

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I rebuilt the Swan 700CX PS, all I did was replace the electrolytics with new Tubulars. It is harder to find the Electrolytics in an AXIAL Package than Radial. They are much more expensive too. It is probably best to just adapt the Radials for use in PS's like this. Physically they are about the same size.

10. AF6LJ

Mouser Wouser has them.

I just finished the wired circuit board thatleaves two caps in the chassis, reassembly and testing.
    Pictures tomorrow before a marry the PWB to the power supply.

I didn't want to leave the original diodes in there and replacing the resistors isn't much more effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.