ad: Radclub22-1

So I Bought A Swan 350

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF6LJ, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be my daily driver for seventy five for the remainder of the year.
    The TS-820 and the IC-745 will need some work.
    More on that later......
    There will be at least another Swan in my future.

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be your daily driver even after the '820 and '745 are fixed, too.....

3. AF6LJ

I like single conversion receivers, they tend to be quieter than their dual and triple conversion counterparts.
    My IC-756 is quad conversion on SSB, CW, and RTTY, sad to say the last IF is digital and first generation at that....
    One thing in the 756's favor, the DDS tunes in one Hertz steps, and the display an display to one Hertz.

The IC-745 is hard to beat, receive audio is good and the transmit audio isn't half bad. The noise blanker is very effective, and the RX path to the antenna relay is looped though the back panel and with a simple power divider and a few connections to the accessery connector a second receiver becomes an easy addition. I use to have this radio paired up with a Drake R-4 for dual receive, worked great. :)

4. AF6LJ

So I have this minor audio problem on receive, could be AGC, less likely it is actual audio distortion, but I am not ruling it out.. I start digging around in the RX audio and I find my schemetic and my Swan 350 are in disagreement. The radio is stock, except for the AM mod, that was obvious and the wire I replaced between the two pilot lamps. One thing I noticed is the distortion is reduced when the electrolydic that bypasses the 215V source to ground is bypassed with another cap I'll have to dig out my cap checker and check that one.
    It isn't that great of a difference and that may be a false path to success....

I need to look and see if I have a 6BN8, The AGC just doesn't seem to be right.
    I found the AGC time constant / filter cap and I have one I can bypass that one with to see if it is at the root of the audio issue. I don't have time to troubleshoot more today, we shall have to see about this coming Friday.

Time for more chores.

5. WB6TOM

WB6TOM Ham Member QRZ Page

well the last 12 pages I have read, and was good reading. I purchest my first swan 350 and 117xc in 1967 I had a little problem with drift so I drove it down to swan and after a few days they put a large heatsink on the transistor in the vfo. and seem to fix the problem, in any case I also pick up a swan mark-II and powersupply (new) from Henry Radio in anaheim, ca. I ran phone Patch's for the guy's at naha, airforce base OKNA on 20 meters almost every night about 2AM pst. till I melted the traps in my th3 jr . lol which was rated 300 watts and I was pushing 2 KW pep. ( it melted the DE traps and shorted them out). in anycase I like my swan 350 and my 500cx and my mark-II and as I have said before, these boat anchors are the best thing out there and they are 50 years old, lets see how good the icom and the kenwoods are after they are 50 years old. I have a kenwood TS-440 SAT thats only 25 years old and it a piece of junk.
    "Bud"
    WB6TOM

6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I don't know about Icoms.

But the Kenwood hybrids (TS-520, TS-820, TS-530, TS-830) have quite a following, with many on the air, sounding good and working well. They're not 50 years old yet, but the oldest ones are approaching 40 and going strong. Heck the newest are about 30 years old now....

Whether a Kenwood hybrid qualifies as a "boatanchor" is another thread.

7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I refer to my 820 as a "canoe anchor":)

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

HAW!!!

Fact is, the Kenwood hybrids and some other rigs of that era weigh more than many "boatanchors"! (Built-in linear power supply will do that).

I once had the loan of a TS-940SAT. Durn thing was HEAVY!

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, I've seen the opinion that any radio with "three legged fuses" in them are not true boat anchors. I don't really care about semantics. I do like my Kenwood. It's a nice, solid performer, not quite stock, but not butchered. (Zed Page has details).
    all the beasts!
    chris

10. AF6LJ

We all have opinions just like we all have........ well you know...
    I don't see a movement toward adopting an international standard that defines what a boat anchor radio is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.