ad: Schulman-1

So, How was Dayton?

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KB4MNG, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, Huntsville's, Hamfest Ain't exactly a "Barn burner either." It's gotten pretty crappy itself.

2. KE4YOG

KE4YOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had been QRT fir several years but I upgraded in October to General and to Extra in Feb. I went to the hamfest in Raleigh earlier this year. I was disappointed. Not enough vendors. Not enough flea market. I went to a hamfest in a smaller town called Kinston. I believe it was the Down East hamfest. It was bad. Very bad. Flea market had 4 people set up. I could walk and see all the vendors on the inside in 20 minutes. That was walking slow enough to see everything and check the prices on the items. My favorite hamfest is in a small town called Maysville, NC. It is more of a social get together. Might have a vendor or two but most is strictly swap meet/ flea market. Like I said I like the social aspects of it. People cook and eat and talk. It is fun and very enjoyable because by October it has cooled of and you can be outside without melting.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So now it is time to look forward to Dayton 2013. What? Only 10 months off? This kind of adventure requires alotta advance planning. Will I drive again? The trip seems to be getting easier, but no less tiresome. Would be nice to have a stopover along the way to make the travel less weary. All U folks in the 8/9 area have it so EASY! Only 5 or 6 hours and U are there! Try 56 hours! It's like going to the other side of the world. And, indeed, Dayton DOES seem to be on the other side of the world, as with Air travel, U could easily circle the globe in that time with no sweat.

Things to think about in advance: Motel rooms, financing, side trips, vacation time off. It seems there is ALWAYS a company crisis when it is time for me to leave, but HEY! I gave them over a YEARS NOTICE I was going!!!! SORRY ABOUT THAT, but Dayton has the Highest of Priorities. Just like Pacificon in October. I have had it up on the vacation board 6 months in advance, but the day before I leave, they will have some big project or order that needs to get out and they just can't do it without me. Well, it just will hafta WAIT till I get back! If the boss can go to the other side of the world for over a month, I can go to the Bay area for 4 days! (including a weekend).

For those who have never seen the Dayton Swapmeet, it is just mind blowing. There are something like 3 or 4 THOUSAND sellers there alone! Each with lotsa JUNK! THAT ALONE is WELL WORTH the trip. U can get just about anything you ever wanted (at a price though) and it will be there. If I only had the time, it needs to be COMBED Carefully to ferret out the incredibly rare and valuable artifacts. Like, I bet there was an AMECO AC-1 out there this year. I didn't see it, but it was most likely there. And someone probably took it home for $20. Well, maybe I will find one NEXT YEAR!
    I even heard a true story of how someone scored a Hallicrafters SX-88 for $200. And I WAS THERE!!!! Rats! Just wasn't there quick enough to find THAT deal!

So, anyone that has doubts of going to Dayton, think again. It most assuredly is WORTH THE TRIP, from WHEREVER U are! Even if you are in Dubai, U need to take a flight to the States and come to Dayton. I will be there next year, unless I am SIX FEET UNDER! (which is a good possibility!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.