So how does the whole "Swap/trade" thing work exactly?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Nov 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not like there's some escrow service...

So does the "will trade for..." posting person ship FIRST, and do they wait for it to arrive to the recipient before the recipient then ships?

Does the "will trade post person" wait for the "traded item" to arrive, before shipping?

Do BOTH parties ship at the same time? But how is that actually confirmed? Unless they are doing a "Facetime" call or some such, each at a UPS store or FedEx, to document video of the actual shipping happening and the package being accepted, how can such a transaction be confirmed?

I'm just really curious how this "Swap/trade" thing works out in the real world.... seems in this day and age, that the risk to one or the other party is pretty high. I'd NEVER ship a trade item without some sort of Escrow involved to protect my interests...

Makes me question the whole "trade" option...

How does this typically work in the real world?

Dave
    W7UUU

2. K6EIR

K6EIR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Typically, both ship at about the same time. Tracking numbers are used to track shipping progress and delivery. At the end of the day, the process relies a lot on trust. I haven't traded any gear through this forum, but I have traded a lot of music and camera gear through other forums and have never been burned. Can it happen? Sure, but it usually works out, in my experience. If you look for traders who have generated positive feedback on this forum, or have a solid rating on eBay, you can usually get comfortable. But I can't say the process is zero risk either.

K7MH and W7UUU like this.
  3. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have only done a swap one time. Not high value items, ($100 class). We both shipped at the same time. Tracking numbers were supplied. Worked out fine. Don’t think I would try this with high dollar gear though.

K7MH and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just thinking mostly about the "Flex 6500 trade for Collins S-Line" sort of thing. (not a real example but not far from it)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Trading just isn't as popular as it used to be. Shipping cost is a major factor. If you can meet in person then that's great.

6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did a trade via QRZ once - but it was face to face.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

There are escrow services out there but I don't think they are commonly used. It is used on AZ Billiards at times where custom pool cues are sold. Most start out at around $1500 and go up to about $5000 or so commonly.
    Whether a trade or not you can get stiffed by someone in different ways but a trade is more like sending cash so you do have to be more careful about it.

But just what are the odds of someone finding someone else to trade with that has the sought after item and wants to trade it for what the other guy has to offer?
    Probably much faster and/or easier to sell what you have and then buy the used whatever it is that is sought after.

Especially peculiar are the trades where someone wants to to trade up an old piece of gear and some added money for a much newer rig. Good luck with that!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018