Snog, marry, avoid.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by G0TNU, Jan 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Often while walking around a rally our eyes fall upon a piece of kit.
    What makes us buy it ?

Snog.. you want this item just to have a play, You will probably keep it a few months maybe & then sell it on, Happy you finally owned one & can talk about it to others.

Marry.. This is your dream item. You have spent years waiting for it & would gladly divorce your current equipment & run away with it.

Avoid.. You have walked past this item a few times during the day & the trader has now put an offers notice on it, You know they don't really want to take home.
    You sweep in at the last moment with a silly offer, Now this is your winter project / Spare parts.

Does your head rule your heart or do you go with a shopping list ??

2. W1NJC

W1NJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to determine if this entire post is a euphemism or not...

SA1CKE likes this.
  3. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

4. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is that candy piled high by the checkout counters at stores? Most people are impulse shoppers, even though a few impulse shoppers might have a shopping list with them also. The snog factor has to be taken into account, says the new owner of a Uniden 2020.

5. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Snog, Marry, avoid was a uk telivision program & i just thought it made a great title for the post.
    No hidden meanings euphemism or double entendre!

NO

The candy is there for when your trying to quietly queue & the kids start ! Waaaaaa I want I want !!! You buy it just to shut them up !!

Buy
    Try
    Bye
    :D

6. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Those 3Fs, cost effective? :)

The Rube Goldberg VFO setup of the 2020 caught my eye, like a curl tail grub to a Bass. Sort like seeing a Chupacabra for the 1st time, I reckon.

G0TNU likes this.
  7. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always wanted a rack cabinet. Not that I needed one or ever had any practical use for a 19" rack cabinet but there's something magnetic about the looks and perhaps the possibilities of that project that 'might be'. Friend asks, "Whadda' ya want that for?"

"I just WANT it, OKAY?"

Like the man said, it was Sunday afternoon and everybody was packing up to go home and the owner of that beautiful, like-new rack cabinet didn't want to pack it up, take it back home and carry it back to the shack and store it for another year.

"You want that rack cabinet? If you've got a way to carry it, you can HAVE it. Just take it home."

Wow! All MINE! I've always wanted one! So after talking my buddy into carrying one end of it to the parking lot and then, later, at home to carry it to the shack, it was mine and I spent the next several months looking at it and admiring it each time I walked past.

[​IMG]
    It took about three years for the 'new' to wear off and for me to decide that it was just taking up room and had to be moved out of the way a dozen times a year before I decided that I'd had it for long enough. Time to move it on.

So I listed it on QTH, adding the line that any money received would be donated to Scott, KA9FOX. It worked like gangbusters! A guy drove all the way up here from Huntsville, Alabama in his truck to get it. "What're you gonna' use it for?" I asked, wondering if he had an idea for it that I hadn't thought about in the past three years.

"I dunno. I just always WANTED one and I saw your ad and thought, this is the one."

I'll expect to see an ad for it in about another three years and then somebody else will get to have something they've always wanted. Hams are a funny lot.

2E0CIT and W5INC like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At Ye Olde NAPA store, they always have goodies like knives and flashlights and tire pressure gauges right at the checkout counter. I have more knives and flashlights and tire pressure gauges than I can ever use. :)

W5INC likes this.
  9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there such a thing as a Single entendre?

10. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. Entendre means "to hear" in French. So double entendre means to "hear twice", but differently each time.

The above courtesy of my French teacher daughter.

W2VW and W7UUU like this.