ad: Retevis-1

Sneak Peak at Elecraft's New Products

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Used KX1s are going for around $500 or more, and they sell quickly. I'm not a market researcher, but it seems like demand is there.

WN1MB likes this.
  2. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

LNR Precision has been doing a good job with filling some of the demand for a CW-only radio. There are other, fancier QRP radios on the market, also, but the KX1 has a cult following. I think a re-release or a KX1 v2 would sell well.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft cache and fanaticism aside, I can't see a KX1 doing particularly well unless it's inexpensive (unlikely) or much smaller than the original while incorporating more features. The old one appears to be as big as my KX2, but doesn't do everything a KX2 does (or can do with optional modules). The current competitors (MTRs, QCX Minis, etc) are all smaller, which is an important factor to me if I'm looking for a CW-only rig.

[​IMG]

Chris

AK5B and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^
    I agree...and I don't dispute they are good radios but it seems that anything "Elecraft" is way overpriced.

K7LZR likes this.
  5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The visual comparison is deceptive. The KX1 is 30% smaller by volume. And it can have a built in tuner. If you are going to use a tuner with the MTRs then all that space savings goes out the window. Not to mention the space the external battery takes.

Also, let's say you spend $500 on a KX1. It would seem overpriced if you were never going to need a tuner, I agree. But you could spend $350 on an MTR (or more) and then spend another $200 (or more on a T1 tuner. That makes it a bit more of an apples to apples comparison.

I really like my MTR-3b, but it is nowhere near as feature rich as the KX1 and I still think it's a shame you can't buy them new any more.

But in the end, whatever. Getting out for a SOTA outing is what really matters. I'm hoping to see KI4POT on the air tomorrow! :)

6. KI4POT

!!! I forgot the KX1 had an internal battery. Ok, that certainly evens things up a bit.

IMO, if one were going to go ultra-portable with something like an MTR, you'd probably be looking at a resonant antenna. At least that's how I'd approach it (says the guy who has a KX2 with ATU). But, back to the battery issue, that's a bigger one IMO. Even if the total volume of the radio and battery is smaller with the MTR, having to deal with another external thing and wires can be a PITA.

Getting ready to leave after another cup of coffee. :)

I'll be on SSB though. If you do get on SSB, I'll be at W4V/SH-030. :) Definitely on 40m, but following the example set by @KM1NDY, I may spend some time on the higher HF bands though. I've yet to make a contact on 12m or 10m, so maybe I'll give those a shot.

Chris

N3AWS and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

@KI4POT
    We are doing the AT-on- the-Air event today. Not until about 1900 utc.
    If we have service, I'll look for your spots.

Mindy

AJ6KZ likes this.
  8. KI4POT

I was out for the same event and activated Blue Mtn (W4V/SH-030) from about 10:30amET to 12pmET. While not directly on the AT, it was nearby (less than 1/4 mile by foot, probably closer as the crow flies). I spent the rest of the day wandering around the woods on the AT enjoying the awesome weather. I'll put the rest of my report in the AT-On-The-Air thread so as to not pollute this one.

Chris

9. AA1OU

AA1OU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. Now, when will my KPA500/KAT500 combo finally ship?

AJ6KZ likes this.