ad: MLSons-1

Sneak Peak at Elecraft's New Products

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick clip featuring the new products, full episode below. Wayne was an awesome guest and we took some super technical deep dives into the Elecraft product lines.

VU2VIZ, KC7ZXY, N0TZU and 5 others like this.
  2. CAHR

CAHR QRZ Member

Thanks for posting TO!

M1WML likes this.
  3. W3QJ

W3QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Real good one guy's, loved it. I have 3 Elecraft Transceivers and amp stations. About ready for a K4.
    Tnx Agn, Bob,W3QJ, 73

KC7ZXY, AJ6KZ and M1WML like this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking forward to the AX2. I use my KX2 in the same manner as Wayne as a trail-running rig (and other things). While base-loaded whips are a compromise, I've had good luck with my MFJ whips. I'm expecting the AX2 to further reduce packed size and hopefully provide better performance.

Chris

K4MID and M1WML like this.
  5. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The only problem, at least for a while will be the loooooong wait times.

My K-line is going nowhere and I'm happy to have it.

N3AWS, WA6MSE, W8KIC and 4 others like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice.. great radio.. ;)

7. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roger that. I just started the waiting game since I ordered a KPA1500 three weeks ago. While I am normally a very patient person, I fear my wait will be a long one. Apparently the delay on the amp is due to unavailability of ONE single source capacitor, and there is also a possibility of further delay (November, or later) while Elecraft tries to find an equivalent cap that might be substituted. I don't want to bug the nice folks in Aptos so...

...I think I'll start a "Are you waiting for your KPA1500, too?" thread over in the QRZ Amps forum even though there's nothing short of a shipping notification email that will sufficiently console me. :D

I wish there could be daily updates on shipping status for us Elecraft junkies!

Jeff

KC2IEB, K4MID, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  8. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sneak peek

AE0Q and M1WML like this.
  9. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Really enjoyable video, Wayne is a good orator and I found the conversation around design etc… especially interesting. Thanks very much for this presentation.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Paddle, I don't see a major difference. Mine has the tiny allen wrench attached already. (totally gonna lose it one day)

I have mixed thoughts on the AX-2

AX-1 Pros:
    1. The AX-1 works on three bands (resonant on 20 and 17 and less-so on 15, (requires ATU))
    2. I carry only one coil
    3. I already own it

AX-2 Pros?:
    1. 40m will not require a "huge" add-on loading coil, to what disadvantage in efficiency?
    2. We can modify the coil
    3. New coils, although 3D printed, look tougher than the delicate AX-1
    4. Size and weight reduction (unless you carry three)
    5. Probably less wind-load than an AX-1 on those pesky windy peaks

AX-2 Cons?:
    1. Modifying the coil on a summit is probably not a good idea.
    2. If #1 above, I need to carry more coils

...Was kinda hoping for a KX-2 sized "KX-4" that includes USB audio and 6 & 2 meters hehe :cool:

73 de KA1YBS

HB9EPC, K4MID and K6SDW like this.
  11. CAHR

CAHR QRZ Member

Yeah, I have mixed thoughts on most antennas, so I'm right there with you. If I was going to Summit the AX-2, I'd take the whip and then 1 or 2 pre-set coils that I could swap in and out. I 100% agree that I wouldn't be re-winding a 'roid on a summit. Its a good option, and Wayne even said its not the "best" option.

12. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish they would bring back something like the KX1. The KX1 cannot be beat (for CW users) as far as compactness (if you want an ATU). I did a comparison of the KX1 to the MTR-3b, including the T1 tuner and external battery and the KX1 wins for fewer cubic inches. This is NOT a knock on the MTR-3b. I happen to love mine.

N2RIC likes this.
  13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the KX1 and that is an excellent radio with built in tuner. I also have the QCX Mini and the T1. That T1 is an amazing bit of kit!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  14. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I asked the Elecraft reps at the spring QSO Today Virtual Hamfest if they would consider selling the KX1 again, either as a re-release or an updated version. They were nice and said that they usually look at market demand, etc., and that the new K4 was their big project at the moment.

K4MID and AJ6KZ like this.
  15. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there is anything in that market space at the moment. Those were the days.

AJ6KZ likes this.