ad: elecraft

Smithsonian Institution’s NN3SI Returning to the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4NPG, Mar 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KQ4P

KQ4P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No more flying after 3000 hours. No more motorcycle, No more boat, just driving my Sheriff's car to work and back.

Norm

2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rotor Norm! Thanks for helping me fix all them broke down rotors back in the day! I think I've still got a bag or two of the ball bearings.
    @KQ4P

3. W3KKO

W3KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You both read my mind!! My dads friend Nelson Shurr W3DYP was one of the group of hams that operated the Franklin Institute W3TKQ station in the 60s and 70s. I remember seeing it as a kid. I understand the station was mothballed, then moved to Northeast High, but is now again mothballed. Here's hoping!

4. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many years ago I worked NN3SI on 40m SSB. Later, I saw the station during a DC trip but it wasn't open. Glad to hear the first steps are being taken to return the station to its glory years . 73, N4KZ

5. N4NPG

N4NPG Ham Member QRZ Page

We enjoy hearing stories like this, thanks for posting!

6. KD2LH

KD2LH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was privileged to operate NN3SI when I was temporarily working in Washington DC back in the late 1970's. It's good to see it coming back on the air. Hopefully someday the Smithsonian Institution itself will find a place to host operations.

7. K3LU

K3LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news indeed! I remember taking all the DX hams that visited Washington DC back in the 80s there to see the station and have their photo taken. It was also a thrill to work their at the time unique callsign.

8. NN3RP

NN3RP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a great surprise for me to see my Elmer be one of the volunteer operators of NN3SI back in the early 90's ... on my brake time, I will visit the station just to chat with the old timers...now we are here in the midst of a new endeavor!!!

9. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope to work you guys soon! A dedicated station at the Smithsonian would be great. Put it behind glass so visitors could get curious about the hobby!

10. W4OKW

W4OKW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Franklin Institute W3TKQ. It is where I got my start in amateur radio in the early 50s! Hope it comes back. 73 de Tom/W4OKW

11. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

OUTSTANDING !!! Thank you very much.
    John
    K4AGO

12. KG5RJR

KG5RJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed making a contact this afternoon on HF with NN3SI!!

Scott
    KG5RJR

13. N4NPG

N4NPG Ham Member QRZ Page

did you receive our QSL card?