Smarty Jones latest triple crown loser

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF7I, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WF7I

WF7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm only a casual observer of the sport of horse racing, but is it really THIS difficult to win the triple crown? Is it possible that all the hype is built up over one horse or another every so many years so that people "in the know" can place bets on the "right" horse to unseat the would-be triple crown winner? I mean, surely there are some betters out there who really cleaned house by betting on the actual winner (who's name I don't even remember -- I flipped off the TV right after Smarty lost).

It just seemed really weird to me how all the experts were predicting Smarty to win and that it wouldn't even be close. I've seen it before with other horses over the last 10 years or so. What's up with this??

2. W6EZ

W6EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Having gone through a period in my life where I bred and trained horses all I can say is that each horse is just as different from other horses as each person is different from other people.
    They have their good days and bad days. You can ride one past the same chicken sitting on a fence post a hundred times and on the one hundred and first time the horse will flatten his ears spook at the chicken and try to jump out from under you.
    What motivates a horse one day may not motivate him the next day. What you teach the left brain may not take on the right side.
    Also, a horse may have a bit of indegestion and his gut will be all sucked up and he may not preform at all.
    The triple crown is very hard to win or there would not be a one million dollar purse for doing so. the promoters are fairly sure the odds are on their side against winning.
    This grossly understated but I hope you get the idea.

3. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

To put it in more human terms sprinters don't usually win 800 meter and mile events, and short race horses don't usually do well in the longer races and vice versa. It's dang hard to find a horse, esp. with the breeding programs they have that does well in both longer and shorter races, they are few and far between; hence the small number of Triple Crown winners. Besides how do you bribe a horse to take a dive [​IMG]

I sure wish I had a bunch of money on the horse that did win today, did I hear it was a 38-1 odds horse.

Gary NØKLT

4. W6EZ

W6EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about bribing a horse to take a dive, but it would be easy to feed one too much, too little, or not urge as hard as you should in the race. I have never encountered someone who would do this as loosing doesn't pay the bills or get breeding contracts.

A jockey could hold a horse back to save his strength for the last burst of speed and if he waits too long he may not be able to catch the other horse and pass to win. Or the other jockey could release his horse a bit sooner than expected.

It isn't all in the horse's legs, there is a lot of strategy involved.

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why there's only been a few horses to actually do it. It's hard, it involves a lot of strategy, planning and probably a lot of luck. It doesn't hurt to race against a field of horses that have a less than stellar day either.

I don't think the race was fixed, but it definetly is in the best interest of everyone involved to crank up the hype machine. And to have people on the air telling everyone that this horse is better the Secretariat, it's pretty much a sure winner ad-nauseum does nothing but pump up the book makers.

6. KI4FDW

KI4FDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that it is on the national level. The last triple crown winner was 26 years ago and there have only been 11 horses to win the triple crown. But don't worry too much about it. The owners of Smarty Jones will put him out to pasture and still make alot of money off breeding him.

7. K3UD

K3UD Guest

I do not follow horse racing and have never been to a track except when flea markets have been held at one.

However, when something big in any sport is happening It does get my attention. Too bad that Smarty Jones did not make it. It might have been good for a sport that has seemingly been decimated by the advent of other gambling venues. I live in Kentucky and the general concensus from the breeders and track owners is that there is a fiscal crisis in the industry that only slots at tracks will cure.

As far as rigging or fixing.... it has happened in the horse racing industry, and in the "mainstream" gaming industry. Anyone remember US Coin?

George
    K3UD

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

... And you don't wonder why an NFL team can have a great season, then lose 35 to nothing in the playoffs? Or maybe go to the Super Bowl and not even show up?

Yeah, I'm a cynic. I think Vegas controls professional sports.

Take the NBA. Team A scores, gives the ball to Team B, they score, give the ball to Team A and it scores, ad nauseum. The winner is not determined by ability but by who had the ball when time ran out. Which is why you have scores like 88-87 as a final.

But this old cynic still watches the NFL and I still watch pro golf, and I don't care if Las Vegas did prepick the winner. It's better than cutting grass or fixing the barn roof.

Ed

9. K3UD

K3UD Guest

For the last several years there has been a fair amount of call in chatter on Fox Sports and ESPN radio as well as local radio sports talk shows about Vegas fixing the games or the NFL - MLB - NBA doing it themsleves. It usually centers on which teams get into the World Series,
    Super Bowl Or the NBA finals. The theory is that potential TV ratings will suffer badly if the "right" teams from the right markets do not get in.
    Can anyone imagine a Montreal / Toronto World Series? Another theory is that owners are manipulated as to what players they can sign, and with the full support of the unions.

However I can not imagine a conspiracy of such magnitude continuing as long as is said without someone breaking it open. If there is any conspiracy going on it is that MLB has that anti trust exemption. Anyone have any theories as to why congress is reluctant to end it?

George
    K3UD

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as profession sports being fixed, I doubt it. There's far too many big mouths that would have their ego bruised and go right to the press.

However, I continue to be angered by the government subsidies of professional teams that do nothing but increase my taxes and cable TV rates.

Think about it, you pay more for cable TV because systems carry these enormous rights fees, and local cities are basically strong-armed by rich owners into building them new facilities. It's a racket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.