ad: Amateur-1

smartSDR for Mac and Skookum Logger?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K2QO, Aug 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2QO

K2QO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you run a Mac and a Flex 6xxx radio, note that Markus Roskosh has authored an all new Mac OS app for the Flex based on his awesome iOS app. It can do basically everything just like SmartSDR for Windows!

BUT, before shelling out $150 I'd LOVE to know if Mac contesting is now "a thing." K1GQ, author of Skookum does not have a Flex to test with and says that since he uses RS232 and does not think that the Flex can be read for band changes or provide radio control. I know that Flex uses the TS-2000 commands set and Skookum does support that as does RumlogNG which would also be acceptable. I'd guess that smartCAT assigning ports for the radio ought to be seen by Skookum or RumlogNG because smartCAT is creating virtual serial ports.

The real issues are that Parallels 15 roasts my battery, and the new version, 16, does not seem any better. Also, running Bootcamp/W10/N1MM+ is a mess because my brain has 15+ years of muscle memory with the Mac keyboard and shortcuts so using W10 is super slow and I'm constantly locking the screen, not getting cut/paste to work, taking screenshots that do nothing and this is the just the start of my gripe list.

I have two setups.
    1. 2012 Mac Mini in the shack that can run bootcamp just fine but is short on processor for a good Parallels setup.
    2. 2020 MBP 13" 4 port that can run any configuration just fine.

If seems like smartSDR/Mac, Skookum or RumlogNG **should** work. If you know for sure, please chime in!

Mark K2QO
    FN03ra

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use RUMlogNG for my contesting software on the Mac. SkookumLogger is very good but seems focused primarily on the hardcore contester and is needlessly complex in some areas. However, once SkookumLogger is setup, it works fine as well.

I'll be playing with RUMlogNG and SkookumLogger and connecting them to the SmartSDR/Mac during the upcoming week. Will let you know how it works out.

Also, not overly important, but you're more likely to get Mac-specific responses if you post in the Mac subforum which can be found at the top of this forum. I think that it should be its own forum, but the powers that be decided to included it as a subforum here.

3. K2QO

K2QO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K3DCW, I reposted my question to the other group. No replies yet. I'll be awaiting your results.

Mark