Smart Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VE3JCJ, Mar 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

How about some double-blined tests with your friend - see if they can detect RF. Have a WiFI router, Smart meter - whatever - in a room controlled by a randum generator. On for 10 out of 20 minutes, randomly assigned where nobody knows. Have her write down what times it's on and off.

You could do it over hours, or even days.

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Threads like this and ignorance make me laugh a lot out loud. Amazing how ignorant people are.

A Electric Smart Meter is nothing more than a LOW POWERED CELL PHONE, that reports electric usage a few times a day with a very short text message over the Cell Phone network. Now some areas like the fuits and nuts in Calaphonie allow themselves to be controlled and assimilated by government and electric companies will turn off your air conditioner and high power appliances when you need them most with a simple message to your neter via a TEXT Message to turn it off for 15 minutes.

Bottom line is your personal cell phone is much more dangerous than your SMART METER. You do not put your SMART METER next to your brain and keep it there for hours.

N0TZU and N8VIL like this.
  3. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly! And your 2 meter handheld exposes you to more RF exposure when you are transmitting than all of the above.

4. VE3HOH

VE3HOH Ham Member QRZ Page

PPL here in PA uses 914 mhz mesh network transceivers in their meters.
    They TX with abt 20mW (milliwatt not MEGAwatt !) of power.
    The biggest complaint abt them is they will desense your 902 to 928 mhz ham receiver, since they are right there with you , and your neighbours.
    They are a threat to any weak signal 902 or 903 mhz weak signal work.
    Call them about it if your are in PA.

73 pete ve3hoh/w3

5. VE3JCJ

VE3JCJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Have we gotten any closer to the truth? Yes and no. I believe most of the problem lies with her, to the extent of misinformation and the lack of physics understanding. "I heard from a friend of a friend..." How many times have any one of us here gone online just Googling or Youtube to get some general information and because of our own personal knowledge of a topic some other Joe Blow says something and we find his comment to be totally wrong. What about the BS or untruthfulness found in commercials or the part truths found in campaign promises? But who (with any knowledge) is there, on the spot, to counter their claim; to call them out and prove otherwise? I have actually written to companies calling them out on certain claims what their product is capable of. While they never respond to me directly, next thing you know that commercial was taken off the air or edited to appease viewers. And, most importantly most people (all of use here) believe what we want to believe. She got to a stage where she won't listen to anyone even after my attempt of me explaining to her that I am in the industry with all my detection equipment, she still argued the point. Prior to retirement I was in the RF detection end of things in the CATV side of things.

I just backed off the topic with her simply because she would not listen to logic, no matter how it was presented. The discussion or argument with her was not worth the loss of friendship. Her husband , a retired police detective, agrees with me but we toned things down.
    Thanks again, everyone, for your input
    Jerry
    VE3JCJ

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some interesting research I read about recently indicates that such people don't change their beliefs based on data and logical arguments (e.g., anti-vaxers). However they do often respond to anecdotal stories and personal testimonials, especially with emotional content.

Unfortunately, you are trying to prove a negative to her. How do you tell a compelling personal story about someone who has experienced no effects from a smart meter?

7. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Incorrect on a few points of significance, enough to warrant a few corrections (these are at least in the big Oncor power delivery market, and a few others where Landis&Gyr meters are deployed.)

1) Peak xmtr power is just under a watt. Reference to FCC filings can be supplied on request.

2) These meters constantly "chatter", short, bursty transmission occurring every minute. Video showing this behavior can be seen using either an wideband HP 423A "crystal" detector or a spectrum analyzer. Videos demonstrating this behavior can be supplied on request.

3) Oncor market meters use unlicensed 900 MHz "ISM" band, not cellular data transceivers in the meters. They do seem to use a 900 MHz ISM band to cellular "access point" (called a "collector" in Landis&Gyr terminology, but these are few and far between up on power poles, not houses.) References to L&G technical materiel as well as photos of installed "collector" can be supplied upon request.

PS. Walls full of these 'chatty' meters exist in strip business malls and at apartment complexes; the average RF exposure would, of course, be a lot higher than from an individual meter located at a house (single family dwelling) located on a city-sized lot.