ad: k1jek

Smart Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VE3JCJ, Mar 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

@VE3JCJ

Wilson cloud chamber, I wonder if these RF-o-phobes have ever seen a Wilson Cloud Chamber?

There exists that "energy" which will penetrate anything and *everything* (some number of inches of lead might have an effect though):

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That will probably just make them more afraid. Or they might ignore it. It's not rational, and they will discount evidence that doesn't support their fear.

How about living at high altitudes? Much more cosmic radiation and UV hitting me here at 5100 ft than if I were at sea level, and I was positively "fried" by it yesterday at 10000 ft while skiing! :D

I'd better retreat to a cave. Oops, the rock has radioactivity...hmmm

KV6O likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a cloud chamber using a glass milk jug (remember those!) when I was a kid. You could see the occasional cosmic ray's effect very clearly.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

They certainly do around here! I live on the Pikes Peak Massif, and the decomposing granite has measurable radioactivity; I have an old CD geiger counter that I attached to a sound card to measure over time, and putting a piece of granite against the tube showed a measureable increase over the long term.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a smart meter, It can be turned off remotely and hacked.

The ones here use a cell phone frequency, And you can see the usage on your neighbors meters.

You can control their Smart stuff too. :oops::rolleyes:

I do not like the idea of the electric provider being to cheap to read a meter to save money. :mad: My bill keeps going up.

I blame a lot of this on dogs that chase the meter reader. USPS has problems with dogs too.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, how do you see the usage on neighboring meters? Do you mean on the power company website or by doing some sort of hack or somehow decoding the cell phone transmission?

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A cheap SDR can do it.

There are places on the internet to get what is needed for decoding everything. Including free TV.

I do not recommend doing it, Unless you are just experimenting. ;)

8. AA5CT

re: "A cheap SDR can do it."

I'm thinking you're conflating "hijacking" a 2G GSM for phone calls, which is different from knowing the keys and encryption protocol used on the data passed via the "phone".

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Entirely possible for 900 MHz band smart meters. Here's a GNU Radio project from my friend VE3IRR that decodes a certain type of smart meter.

https://github.com/argilo/gr-elster

10. AA5CT

re: "Entirely possible for ..."

Not given what I've read about the Landis+Gyr FOCUS model meters used in our area. Other models, YMMV.