ad: ARR

smart meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 2E0VDS, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0VDS

2E0VDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello

I have being try to find on the internet if anybody has had any problems with having a smart meter fitted to their home?

The smart meter in question is the one from B*****H G*S ( don't want to advertise them ).

Cheers
    Michael
    2E0VDS

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

"I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat"

B R I T I S H G A S ?

3. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

i have had direct experience with the smart meter which was on 2.4 GHz causing intermittent issues with a wireless mouse (logitech) that was on the other side of a wall from it. took a while to sort it out, because it was so intermittent. we fixed the issue by using a usb extension to move the mouse's dongle closer to the operating position of the mouse.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My home was a test site for these in our area about 10 years ago. So, I've had several different ones installed. I have a console radio built in 1936 directly on the opposite side of the wall. I listen from ~120kc - ~30mc, and never noticed any problems, other than the LF power line noise you'd expect to get having a radio like that so close to the incoming power. I've hunted down all sorts of interference from 120kHz all the way to 1GHz and never had any evidence any came from the meter.

5. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

The GE I+210+C smart meter was installed on my house a year ago. No problems with my WiFI laptop or wireless mouse that I use nearby (same side of house as meter). Also no problems with my HF operating or cordless phones.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Difficult question, there are a lot of different systems. Mine does not use RF, but puts pulses right on the 60 Hz waveform.

Doubt if it can cause any RFI, but it does make some digi clocks run a wee tad fast.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder which (if any) ferrite mix works at 2.4 GHz? ;)

8. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine too. Pretty sure it's at the zero-crossing point, but I never looked at the waveform on a scope. The pulses last about 5 seconds. I'll be darned if I can find out more details of how that system works.

Mine does. On the AM broadcast band on a portable radio, at least.
    And, I can hear it in two ceiling fans on slow speed. The motor makes quite a racket during that 5 second period.

9. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ours is in 460 Mhz area, don't have exact frequency at hand.

10. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

in this case it was JUST on the other side of an exterior wall like maybe 8 total inches apart (and the mouse dongle was the most back component) . it didnt occur to anyone the physical relationship of the computer to the smart meter at first, so we did the usual replace mouse, batteries, etc. before we went to the "b" possibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.