Smart lady

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Apr 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree and disagree. As a vocational educator I have seen the ebb and flow, or the ups and downs of the trades and how it is linked to the economy. When one sector takes a hit other sectors may do better.

I have seen auto technicians do well when the economy is down because people hold on to their old cars longer.

I have seen electricians and carpenters get laid off when the economy is down because lack of investment in new construction.

I have seen home improvement people do well when the economy is down because people improve instead of buying a new home.

Plumbers- don't ask me why but they always seem to do well! A lot of money in $#!+. Nurses too!

The list of examples could go on............

The vo-tech I work at (23 years) graduates everyone from carpenters to cooks, welders to machinists, nurses, dental assistants, electronic technicians, auto technicians, HVAC people, etc. We have over 40 programs and every one of them has had its ups and downs through the years.

On the other hand many of my friends (college grads) have had their share of layoffs, middle management squeeze outs, job losses due to mergers and acquisitions, and of course economic crashes. How did all those bankers, mortgage brokers, stock brokers, etc. do during the last big crash?

The last time I did my taxes with an accountant he was moving into an office with half the space because turbo tax killed his business. There are just as many white collar examples of ups and downs as there are blue collar.

I think every job- blue collar, white collar, college required or not has ups and downs. One thing for certain- anyone who keeps themselves up to date and marketable can usually survive the ups and downs. 40 year careers doing the same exact thing are mostly a thing of the past. Stay ahead of the curve and you will usually survive.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely to be educated in a technical school.
    Likely to be indoctrinated in a college/university.

AC0OB and W3ATV like this.
  3. N4MAV

N4MAV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As someone who was in the trades myself, I vote for doing the trade school. There are several of the trades that don't have any layoffs. Welders, plumbers, electricians, machinists/toolmakers, and the list goes on and on. Or go into the service of your choice for schooling and then into collage after your four year hutch is up paid for by the Government. That is how my Son did it,he went thru xschool on my GI Bill and after that expired he paid as he went for the credits he needed. During the service, no matter where they stick you you can make rate, pass the next exam for whatever trade you wish and get into that department. They will send you to A, B, C schools (Navy, not sure of others) and you come out with your school credits you can put onto a degree. Win win. I know that welders in particular are in high demand anymore as no one wants to be one? My Nephew is a certified pressure welder and makes big money, hows $92,00o a year after 7 years sound? And he lives in a very depressed area on the Ohio/Penn border.

Which ever way you decide have fun doing it and don't stress to much. :)
    Russ Abbey, N4MAV

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a tough one because I can see both sides. In the area I have lived for the past 16 years the shortage is in trained technical types rather than those with college degrees..so much so that the local school districts, community college, and even the state university 40 miles from here have combined to create a technical institute to turn out the mechanics, electricians, etc. that are so much in demand but have limited supply in the region.

My wife and I both achieved post grad degrees. In my case a Masters helped me advance in my chosen profession not so much because of what I learned but because hiring people with advanced degrees gave employers bragging rights. My wife's PhD led her to teaching at the University level but she eventually tired of the leftist environment which tried to force her to teach from an agenda rather than from fact. The home based business (technical) she began a few years ago could easily, if she wanted to devote full time to it, be more profitable than her years as a college professor.

My 3 sons all have BA degrees and it helped 2 of them quickly achieve upper management positions. The third son is the creative one in the family with outstanding business instincts. He has founded, grown and either sold or franchised a number of businesses and his net worth is likely more than the rest of the family combined. Our youngest, a daughter, was a straight A student through high school but intentionally stopped her formal education at the AA degree level. She is in a public safety profession where she makes very good money and, more important, thoroughly enjoys what she does without the pressure of having to advance to a higher position. There are other things in life she enjoys rather than the almighty job. So part of the answer depends on what your value system is and whether career advancement (which often requires increasing education) to the extent it minimizes time for other things is worth it.

Finally, I had the advantage when earning my BA degree to attend a University that taught HOW (not WHAT) to think--to reason, to question. There was no indoctrination as there is in many 4 year schools today and that, IMO, is a huge difference. Education is one thing. Indoctrination is another

AC0OB, WD4IGX and K3XR like this.
  5. N9TDE

N9TDE Ham Member QRZ Page

What works for one might not work for another. My path was a discussion with my parents about after high school. I went to the USAF for 4 years, aircraft mechanic. Working with my hands. Got out work a sort time in a factory, BORING. Went to work for a local implement dealer as a truck driver/ jack of all trades. Drove truck hauling grain then over the road, total driving 13- 14 years. Then I found My significant other and settled down. Work in a factory making industrial/commercial fans. I have had different jobs in this place, started at the bottom and have worked into a nice job as a machinist. I have only been unemployed in total about 3 months my entire adult life. Why. I know what my hands can do. I like what I do so I don't "work" it is kind of fun. My path is not for everyone, it worked for me. So college/tech school is up to you. Also don't narrow your dream job so narrow you cant find a job that "suits" you. Take anything close. Lastly find a job you really like and you never work. 73 N9TDE

6. N0MKC

N0MKC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no "right" answer to the question of "Trade school or college?" The answer will be different for each individual...

Learning to think is the key, no matter what the career path; those who find success in any field are those who involve themselves in their job, not just show up, do it by rote, and go home.

There's an excellent book on the topic - "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work". (Published about ten years ago; I think - hope - the copy I started circulating within the Admin offices of the school district I was working for at the time is still being read, and the lessons therein considered.)

Something else to consider is that staying in one career for life these days is becoming a rarity; as the work environment changes, it sometimes becomes necessary to retool one's skill set (so to speak) and look to see what other fields are out there. I've done trucking, chemical laboratory technician, network engineer, classified document reviewer, and my current job combines Cisco switches & a 40-year-old PBX - none of which were even on my radar when I was in college. (I was also a bouncer / doorman at a lesbian bar for a few years; learned quite a bit there...)

AC0OB and N2EY like this.
  7. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

A family member who is an engineer with a large aviation company has his description of engineering.

"It is like having a four o' clock lab every day all day for your entire lifetime".

Ed

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nursing isn't a trade. It's a profession.

To be a nurse today you pretty much need a college degree in nursing. Four years of classwork PLUS clinical stuff, and most nursing students work as patient care technicians and such.

73 de jim, N2EY

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is a definite overemphasis in higher degrees these days. It used to be a higher degree automatically meant a good job, not so much anymore. My wife has a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, with tons of certs in addiction treatment, and the jobs available can barely pay the student loans. I have a Bachelors degree and make quite a bit more.

Backwards, but true. My son graduated CU Boulder with a Bachelors degree, my daughter blew off college despite getting accepted into CU's Astrophysics program (she wasn't ready). She currently makes more than him!

10. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew that did not sound quite right.
    "Being an engineer is like having an eight o' clock class and a four o' clock lab every day for the rest of your life".

Ed