ad: AbAuRe-1

Smart lady

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Apr 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

K9ASE and W3ATV like this.
  2. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the long haul you tend to have greater earning potential with a college degree.

But at the same time it is _very_ easy to go to college with no clue what you will do with it, take classes that have no value to you in the long term (you _should_ take a few of these to stretch your head, but emphasis on _few_) and end up out of college with no clue what to do and a pile of debt.

IMHO this young lady should get the trade training, work for a couple of years, and _then_ go to college with some idea of what she wants to get out of it.

An engineering degree is nice. An engineering degree with some actual work experience is worth a heck of a lot more.

-Jon

AC0OB and AG5DB like this.
  3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not ask someone that went through a skilled trade apprenticeship and get their opinion?

Here's mine. I finished NJATC (IBEW electrical apprenticeship) first in my class.

Go to college. Get a degree.

Why?

Because the skilled trades are the first to take a big hit when the economy slumps. I saw over half of our local go from working OT to having no job. Many had to leave the state to make their house payments. Many left the trade altogether and went to work in shops.

When the work is here, it's OT followed by lay offs. That's just a fact.

You can also count on wearing out a bunch of vehicles and spending countless hours driving (and not getting paid) to job sites.

The skilled trades are dangerous. Big time dangerous.

Earning potential for the trades is dropping every year. 50k out of the chute is also 50k or less for life, ignoring COLA adjustments.

Machines are making for fewer jobs. I never thought an electrician could be replaced by a machine. I was wrong. A crew of electricians is now a pair of them using electric lifts and electric tools.

College is a better choice in the long run. I would never want my daughter (who is a college grad) to have to suffer the trades to make a living.

Let's hear from others that are actually in the trades and get their opinion. Do they send their kids to college, or do they make them a 1st year apprentice?

KL7KN, N2EY, W3ATV and 1 other person like this.
  4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of our local architects was raised by an ironworker. The guy, Tracy, is a certified genius, Mensa and all that. He makes a ton of money and writes a column for a local newspaper. I used to chat with him via e-mail as he was a very approachable young man.

Tracy is about 5'7", 140 lbs soaking wet. Never was into anything like sports. By all accounts the classic nerd.

His dad put him through college.....only AFTER he made Tracy work as a first year ironworker apprentice for an entire year.

And you can see that Tracy opted out of the ironworker trade, even with one foot squarely in the door.

KL7KN likes this.
  5. WA2GLA

WA2GLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to college and get a degree you can make money in.....Like Engineering.....

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I chose tech school (mechanic) after spending a couple years chasing credits at a JC.
    There will always be a need for mechanics and there is currently a shortage. As vehicles continue to change mechanics will need to continue their education.
    If they're lucky their employer will help with the cost, but a lot of times it's up to the tech if they don't work for a dealer.

W3ATV likes this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not taking sides, but one of the problems I see with spending 4+ years in college is that the trade you selected to makjo

8. W0JRM

W0JRM Ham Member QRZ Page

This. If you go to trade school you might not have debt, and in some cases you might make more money than a college grad. But when the economy slumps, the college grad is the one deciding who gets laid off.

N5RLR and KD5RJZ like this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the best schools have huge endowments that allow them to offer very generous financial aid packages.

https://finaid.yale.edu/costs-affordability/affordability
    Yale's financial aid resources meet the full demonstrated need of every undergraduate—regardless of citizenship or immigration status—without relying on loans, for all four years.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/choosing-harvard/affordability
    WHEN CONSIDERING HARVARD, many families have the same question: will it be affordable? Our answer: absolutely. Harvard is more affordable than public universities for 90 percent of Americans, and equally generous for international students. Wherever you are from, whatever your citizenship, applying for financial aid will not hinder your chances of admission.

10. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to college and learn to think; study what interests you. Most people don't want to learn a 'trade" i.e. engineering. Dedicating yourself to making money is a recipe for misery.

AC0OB and W0JRM like this.