Smallest HT option

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VK2MJM, Jan 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK2MJM

VK2MJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,

I am keen on finding a recommendation on a 'smallest' option on a HT.

The HT can be either 2m/70cm or both.

Background:

My wife and son are hams, and also snowboarders.

For the last few years they have carried a wouxon UVD1P each and have happily enjoy the comms between us.

As their snowboarding has improved they find they worry about the radio, they might fall on it and hurt themselves or break the radio.

They also find it just gets in the way, esp. the antenna.

Carrying an smaller device would be OK though.

My wife was using an Icom, ID-31A with a tiny stubby antenna on D-Star for a day, but would still prefer something lighter, more compact.

So, what I was wondering if anyone had considered the best option for a HT with a stubby antenna, that would work reasonably on ski fields - I know it is a compromise. However, I am trying to figure out the best compromise without spending money going down the wrong pathway and thought suggests for QRZ might help.

We even have a 70cm repeater on a peak of Australia's major ski field, so it does come in handy to have a HT while skiing.

Many Thanks,

Jeremy
    Vk2MJM

2. VK2MJM

VK2MJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, if simply anyone has any suggestions at all??

Thanks

Jeremy
    VK2MJM

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the Yaesu VX3R is the smallest HT I am aware of. It's slightly smaller than the ID31 in all dimensions. http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Di...11&encProdID=5CB596EBED9A3EE26635C7E1F02500D9

I understand the issue with the antennas - I wouldn't want to fall on a rigid piece of plastic like that, either. My first suggestion would be a stubby ducky - very short antenna, like this one -
    http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/Dualband-HT-Antennas/Comet-Antennas-SMA-501.html The other option would be one of the 'superflex' antennas - http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-sma-503j The flex antennas are longer, but they are flexible enough that you can tie them in a knot when not in use. I was alwasy afraid of poking myself in the eye with the flex antennas, but they work fine. The stubby ducky will have very short range, but it probably doesn't matter much for your use.

4. W0JMP

W0JMP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KV4LQ

KV4LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a Yaesu VX1?

6. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeap, VX-1 is probably the smallest HT i saw for at least a decade....

8. VK2LEE

VK2LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Baofeng UV5R which cost less than $50AU 3 months ago, its very small, antenna is small and flexible, and it puts out 5 watts on 2m and 70cm FM... Major problem is getting them going... the 2 pin connector socket needed some modification, and this seems to be common. The included instructions [for downloading channels etc] are not used...!! A local Ham set Mine up with all repeater channels on 70 and 2m. Once working, these are a great little unit.. You can of course put in each repeater or frequency You want to use... These are a great little unit with good audio etc.. and a nice female voice tells You what button You have pushed... like 1-4-6-5-0-0-.... or Channel mode - The battery life is excellent and it weighs very little...
    Lee
    VK2LEE

Amended 50 watts to 5 watts.. Lee

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

50 watts from a radio that small could be painful!

10. KC1DDH

KC1DDH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

UV-5R is 4 watts on high, 1 watt on low.