Small Nit

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4AHO, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Medium nit: Ops with CW infernal machines that have them set up so the time between ... CQDE XX4XX K and CQ CQ CQ DE....is less than a second. Do they ever make any contacts or just leave the room and watch TV? Just heard two nice loud sigs (Asian) on 20 CW on a nearly empty band. What a waste!

W5BIB likes this.
  2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think you're supposed to have a looped memory keyer trying to respond for a while.

AI6KX likes this.
  3. KC9UDX

It's like JT65 except the contact might never finish.

4. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

In this case it never starts. Honestly, I am getting fed up with non-CW ops running these scams on the CW bands. Most of the time it seems they (or the machine) cannot understand the most basic English, or anything out of the routine: if I ask, "PSE UR NAME AGN?" 9 times out of 10 I get something like this back, "UR RST 5NN TNX FB QSO GL 73"

NAME IS STEVE

KC9UDX likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

I have the opposite problem. I tend to spell out words instead of abbreviating. Some guys take offence to that.. I don't do it on purpose!

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As you get older, yes, it becomes very hard to slow down. It also becomes very easy to start an exchange at five or seven words a minute, but creep up to 15 or so by the time you send a K.

I (and I suspect other older musicians) have the same problem when I try to change the tempo of a song I've played many hundreds of times. It takes a great deal of concentration to keep the tempo steady.

Even so, it is necessary in using CW to send at a rate the other person can decode. Faster ops should always heed, "PSE QRS;" but the slow-speed ops shouldn't be surprised or offended if they occasionally have to remind the other op during a QSO, especially if the other op is older.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can and have done 35 WPM however a comfortable QSO speed for me is around 18-20 WPM not in a hurry. If I call CQ at that speed and some complete idiot calls at a much higher speed just ignore that station and continue calling CQ maybe they will get the idea maybe not their problem not mine.

8. WB5YUZ

I'm like a Model T: I have two speeds. Eighteen or so with a straight key and twenty-five or so with a bug. At those speeds I send very naturally and don't make an objectionable number of mistakes.

But at five or thirty-five words a minute, my CW starts to become annoyingly unlistenable. When I try to send ten words a minute or slower, my muscles will often contract involuntarily. It could be the beginning of Parkinson's, but so far no other symptoms, so maybe it's just due to normal neuro-muscular deterioration.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Spelling out Everything on QRS CW??

Spelling out "MASSASSACHUTSSESS" instead of giving the common USPS approved "MA" as your QTH at 4 WPM is VERY annoying.
    Especially when there is deep QSB and the band is ready to go out before we can complete a basic QSO !!

10. WB5YUZ

You know, JD, I tend to send complete words more often when I am sending at 25 WPM than at 10. I never thought about it until now but it makes sense.

For DX QSOs, of course, I have usually been listening for a while and I know what kind of exchange the op wants.

With domestic QSOs, I always start with a very brief, simple exchange for the first one. If the other op answers the same way, I assume that either I am rough copy or they are in a hurry. I probably often am rough copy; I am currently barefoot and only have mediocre antennas. But if their reply to this exchange is more conversational, I respond in kind.