Small Nit

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4AHO, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mac,. Once I know your call, I'm going to answer your cq, where's the problem with that?

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they're just lids...

I've had plenty of returns to a ? After I've called cq. Yes, occasionally there's no response... no big deal, at least they're not tuning on top.

KC9UDX likes this.
  3. HB9FXW

HB9FXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some ops use "?" as a short form for "qrl?". Once they hear you, they figure the frequency is occupied and they turn the knob.

KC9UDX likes this.
  4. N6MRS

N6MRS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, so here's my nit: I am pitiful at CW, I admit it, yet it is the only part of ham radio that really interests me. I spend 30 minutes to an hour, every day, practicing, trying to get faster. I sometimes tune up to the SSB part of the bands, but just can't get interested. So... I hear an OP calling CQ and I listen, maybe 5, 6, 7 times with no response. He's sending a reasonable 14-15 WPM so I send my call at my 10-12 WPM rate. He answers at 18-20 words per minute, charging along w/ signal report, name, rig, antenna, QTH etc, most of which I am getting at about 40-50%. Some times I don't even respond when I finally hear the "BK" or "BTU"; what's the point? Is it that hard to slow down a little? Maybe just put a little more space between the letters? Whoop -Ti -Do for you -- you can send fast CW. I'm told that you should never answer a CQ sending faster than you're comfortable receiving. OK, that seems fair, just don't troll around with your slow CQ and kick it up when some newbie LID like myself answers your call. I wonder how many have become discouraged and left this part of this terrific hobby because the entry requirements are so high, even for those willing to pay the price. I need to exclude from this complaint the SKCC and FISTS ops; I have never failed to be impressed with their patience and willingness to help, offering encouragement and tips. Great guys; never met one not willing to help me limp along. They are, in a very real sense, the main reason I keep slogging forward.

My 2-cents worth.

KC9YGN and KC3BZJ like this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mike,

Do most of them continue to send fast even after AS1QRS? :D

I'm skcc'er happy to qrs. Keep an ear out for me, I'm usually on 40 in the evenings.

I don't recall seeing you in the skcc sked room? Stop by,. It's very active, you'll hook up with plenty of qso!

73 de Jeff

6. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been on the air for about 1-1/2 yrs. and this has happened to me maybe twice.
    Certainly not enough to discourage me.
    When I started I was at about 8-10 wpm, I'm now up to about 16-17.
    If I answer a faster CQ, it's at my speed and the OP has almost always QRS for me. He may have not stayed very long, but enough to make it a legit QSO and that's good enough for me.
    And you're right...with the SKCC group, that almost NEVER happens.
    Don't get discouraged, you meet all kinds in the CW world. Just move past the not so accommodating and get to the good guys.

7. N6MRS

N6MRS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are absolutely correct, K8PRG, 99% of hams working CW are courteous and helpful and I am remiss by not simply asking them to QRS more often. The camaraderie among the CW gang is a major draw for me. I spend 90% of my time listening and have never joined a pile-up or tried to answer a contest CQ (outside of SKCC sprints, NAQCC activity etc. and some state QSO parties) I can appreciate that a slow QSL in a contest or rare activation messes up their rhythm and they are going for high contact counts. I'll keep pounding away and hope to work you sometime soon.

Mike Shreve
    KK4UGD

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few things that drive me nutz whan I hear them.:eek:

1. I call CQ and then someone just sends their callsign, nothing else... Are they calling me or someone else that may be out of my passband or range? It's not a contest, to answer my CQ you send my call, DE, your call and AR or K. Otherwise I will just wait and then send another CQ if another QSO in progress does not become obvious.

2. Breaking up words when you send them. No pause between letters in a word, if you have to think of the next letter in a word you should be sending slower. QRS if you are struggling, I am retired and have lots of free time to copy you.

3. Running words together. Some op-s think they can hurry up a QSO if theyrunalltheirwordstogether. This just doesn't work. I also hear words sent with no spacing between the letters, that makes for a random long group of dahs and dits that make no sense.
    Slow down if you must to send clean Morse ! Accuracy trumps speed , especially if you are asked for repeats too often !

Let's make operating CW pleasant and more fun for everyone.:rolleyes:

W5BIB likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree 100% will not answer with just a callsign in response to a CQ. Is it that difficult or are you that lazy you can't send K3XR de K8xxxx don't get it. Slightly off topic but also hear the clowns come on a repeater or simplex with just a callsign what's wrong with at least saying "This is K3XXX listening .52 (etc)" which eliminates any question that your are looking for call and let's the listening station know what frequency you are on as many hams listen to more than one frequency at a time.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard one today calling CQ (I think!)

I listened to him call for about 5 minutes challenging myself to try and decipher his call sign. I eventually did but he called and called and no one answered... gee, I wonder why not? :eek:

CQCQCQDEDK8XXXDKIXXXDK8XXXCQCQCQDEDK8XXXDK8XXXKK

Yeah, that single call thing ticks me off too. I usually ask, "U CALLING ME OM?" (unless it's a contest of course, in that case it's acceptable)