ad: k1jek

Small Nit

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4AHO, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I do, and they don't reply.

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wait a minute, us n o v i c e r cw ops used to type dit-dit-dit { biiiiiiiiig space } daaaaaaaaaaaaaaah dit daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (a REAL GENUINE SK) all the time :D :D

3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

I've worked CW for more than 50 years and use it nearly every day...some 300,000+ CW contacts since 1965...and I send a "?" after someone's CQ if I tuned into his CQ at the very end and didn't hear his callsign. This happens all the time.

If you tune around and hear "--WIK K" and no reply to that, won't you figure it might be a CQ you simply missed, and then wonder who it was?

The expedient way to find out is to send "?" and see if that station replies. This happens thousands of times during CW contests, and then it's often happening at 40-45 wpm.

K7TRF and W5BIB like this.
  5. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dude ,, relax. What if somebody is a newbie? I bet I can find something you suck at which makes you look like a newbie.
    The same can be said for spelling and grammar. Must be difficult to be so full of awesome.

KC9YGN, KC3BZJ and WR2E like this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty thankful when they use spaces between the characters at all. I'll talk to anyone, as long as I can decipher their code. Itstheonesthatruneverycharactertogetherthatgivemerealproblems. But then, I have only been doing this for 50 years, so you have a little bit of an edge on me.

KC3BZJ, KA2CZU and WA9CWX like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Over 56 years sending CW never send KN or AR .....K works just fine.

WD0BCT, W8ZNX and K8PRG like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I try to be tolerant to all within reason. I have more of a problem with fellows who will not space properly between characters/words.
    Slow speed and hacking the key is not a issue with me. 7110 daytime and 3546 at night here. Stop by and say hello. VY 73 n8aft

K8PRG likes this.
  9. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy

what does IMI mean
    oh
    you mean a question mark

agree
    they never give their call

no call no reply

still in the stacks
    mac

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly... how many times have you tuned the band only to catch the last few letters of a callsign and then PSE K ?

Obviously someone calling CQ and a quick di di dah dah di dit is asking for a repeat of you call.

But, if you don't wanna repeat, I'll move on Paul, no prob!em.

KC9UDX likes this.