ad: SMHam-1

Small Nit

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K4AHO, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AHO

K4AHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Small nit, but I think it needs to be said. CW Prosigns like BT, AR, SK, KN, CL, and AS are sent as one character without spacing between the letter elements. To do otherwise is to sound like a newbie and annoy us old timers.

Never the less I am glad you are on CW, more power to you!

Jim K4AHO

2. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, and twist off bottle caps are getting harder on my arthritic hands...you'd think it would get easier with all the practice I've had...

AI6KX likes this.
  3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think all nits are small.
    [​IMG]

KA2CZU and AF6LJ like this.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The twist offs work just fine with a church key.

But get used to everyone nagging you every time you do that. "You know, that's a twist off."

5. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean nitwits.

6. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It saddens me that my bad fist causes consternation to you. Because of various experiences I got to the point where I'm almost terrorized to make a casual contact. If he quickly sends "tnx fer cnt es 73 SK" (which has happened a lot) is it because I violated some sending rules? Was it that extra dit I sent somewhere? Did I send BK where I shouldn't have? Transitioning from slow-speed to high-speed is not easy and puts me in a no-man's land.

Seriously, I've pretty much given up on casual contacts and stick to contests and DX. Keep thinking I should get some practice with my straight key and hang with the SKCC dudes and dudettes. They're pretty tolerant. Wish there was a more active group like that for paddle users. Yes, I'm a member of FISTS and should probably hang around their watering hole more often.

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. I wear the nitwit title with honor.

KC9YGN, WD0BCT, W8ZNX and 1 other person like this.
  7. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to wear the nitwit title, I don't care how bad your sending is, I'll manage. The only thing I won't tolerate is someone sending IMI just after I've sent CQ, it gets ignored.

8. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I started out with a paddle and changed to straight key just so I could hang with the SKCC gang.....no looking back.

KE4OH, WD0BCT and KC9UDX like this.
  9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Where the Nit Pickers really shine. ;)

KC9UDX likes this.
  10. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They want you to repeat your CQ?