Small Mini Beams (Mosley vs Cushcraft)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE9BV, May 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to think about ice, wind and the kind of rotor you are going use too.

I've had a ton of different rotatable beam/stacks and rotatable towers. I currently have over two miles of wire in the air, but when all this junk falls down, I'm going with the Hex beam, like my grandson has on a 35ft pushup! They are lightweight, simple and work, and best you don't need a $1,500 rotor and strong tower. They don't have the wind twist torque that you have with traditional and small beams.
    And I see you live in Kansas like I do, I have piles of aluminum to show what ice wind and storms will di, the hex beam survives and works.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    W9RLG and W9RAC like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive heard several of those mini beam yagis called rotary dummy loads by the owners on the air. While they show directivity any gain is questionable especially on 20. Ive no actual experience with them so refrain from the flames; most anything can radiate some RF.

KA4DPO and K0UO like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But if that's what you are stuck with...

4. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been debating doing the plunge with a small(ish) yagi. My view point is that the MA5B is too much of a compromise. I -would- argue the same about the HexBeam, but I have heard much that is favorable about them. The big one being the ultra light weight nature of them.

Starting to narrow my choice down to between a K4KIO hex (3 bands) and a Mosley MP-33. Anyone have experience with either?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd go for the hex over the MP-33 if possible.

However, restricting the hex to 3 bands (which makes it comparable to the MP-33) seems silly to me when the same profile antenna can have five bands and include 12/17m without adding any measurable weight or wind loading.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. KC4LNX

KC4LNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently use a Mosley CL-33m with 40m add on. it works great. I started with the MA5B. I found it to be a good performer. does not require a large rotor or heavy tower. I actually used the HyGain hy tower mast as its support. I worked a lot of DX with it at 35ft.

N4NYK likes this.
  7. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And a vertical transmits equally poorly in all directions.

The crap that you read on a forum........

ND6M and KM4FVI like this.
  8. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then there is also the MP-33-NW five band beam. Light weight (29 pounds), 5.4 sq. ft., can run higher power (same as TA-33 with similar theoretical specifications) and, in my opinion, much better looking than a hex since it doesn't look like a laundry rack on a pole / tower. There is also the UV degradation issue with hex beams. Yes, it has traps, but mine seems to perform quite well even at 36 feet.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    KM4FVI likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a big fan of verticals and have them from 160-10, including WARC as a supplement to the horizontals.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No flames Carl but the TA-33 JR was a decent little trap beam, not a flame thrower like a full sized Wilson, or Step IR, but it had decent front to back for a small loaded Yagi. I don't put it in the same basket as some of the other mini-beams. AFWIW, it was better than an Isotron. Come to think of it, my base loaded Gotham vertical was better than an Isotron.:D

K8PG likes this.