Small Mini Beams (Mosley vs Cushcraft)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE9BV, May 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Forty years ago I was 28 so didn't have a lot of money to spend on radio stuff. I got a six month old TA-33 JR, 35 FT crank up mast, and Alliance rotator and control for fifty bucks from an SK's wife in Jupiter beach. All I had to do was take it down and set it up at my QTH.

My Mileage Did Vary, A Lot.:)

KE9BV likes this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Im in a restricted area also, but its of a bit different type of problem . TREES. I have plenty of room (27 acres) but no room either. It's all heavily forested and has worked very for with having wire antennas (30,40,60,75x2, 160) all at around 85' flat top but required a challenge regarding having a beam .

I have had a KIO Hex up for 3 years now that has performed flawlessly. I have noticed zero effect from having it in the forest, getting great results from all over continually. Many do not like the looks of the Hex, I am one of those... however mine is 300 foot from the shack and can not be seen without a camera. It's on a plateau at around 75'. If I may suggest you consider a Hex I believe you will be very pleased with it. Some of the benefits are, 22' across, flat across all the bands, 1500 watts is OK. You can use a smaller rotator, I use the Yaesu 450A. I linked some pictures that might give you some ideas of my set up to use for yours I rate it a 10. 73 Rich
    https://www.on-air.world/hexbeam-project-1.0.html

KE9BV and WN1MB like this.
  3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you completely ruled out a vertical? You would be amazed how well they perform. Very easy to install and they cost a fraction of what it costs for a beam, rotator and tower.

AB9LZ, KE9BV and W9RAC like this.
  4. W9RAC

You know Pat that is a good idea, I hear many verticals and with the proper installation they do a fantastic job. I am always amazed how well they do. I have considered the Zero Five ones. 73 Rich

AB9LZ and KE9BV like this.
  5. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It has been my experience that vertical antennas in the OP’s environment will have a high noise floor on the receiver. I have a new 43 FT DX Engineering Vertical for sale for this very reason. This antenna cost more than my Mosley. I picked my TA-33 WARC Jr up off this website for less than $200.00 USD (including shipping) from another member. Several years later it was upgraded to handle legal limit. The Mosley website has the dimensions of their antennas if one is interested. I have seen these antennas mounted on short mast with fantastic reports.

Frank

KE9BV and K0UO like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

22' is the max point-to-point horizontal dimension; it's not the radius for rotation.

The "mini-beams," if they cover 20 meters such as the Mosley, are easily that "big" horizontally. Remember a 20m dipole is 32-33' long and any yagi-style beam covering 20m would normally have at least one element that length; the "trap" beams have slightly shorter elements because they're inductively loaded by the traps. But the elements are still typically at least 22' long.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the same thing when I first started seeing photos of them on QRZ.com pages. :confused: But after I saw how they perform I have a whole new attitude about their appearance. :D

KE9BV and W9RAC like this.
  8. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a home made hex beam. It works great and the actual turning radius is only 11 ft. Mine is a 6 band made to the specs of g3tqx. Only cost me abut 300 dollars to build. I get really good reports using my FT-920 and 100 watts.

Bob

KE9BV, K8BZ and W9RAC like this.
  9. W9RAC

Here is mine up on a 200' hill at 75' plateau area after the storm we had today its a bit foggy up there. This is from my PTZ camera that is up there 300' from the shack. I can keep a eye on it day and night to see "what condition its condition is in". That big tree in the picture that is down is a Rock Maple, around 100' tall. It went down two years ago and a couple of the branches took out the hex. Had to rebuild part of it. Bad luck. Plays like a charm now..... 73 Rich
    20200514_153046.jpg

KE9BV and KM4FVI like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That "turning radius" for your hexbeam is almost exactly the same as the turning radius for the Mosley MINI-33-AW, within inches. So in terms of "space required," the hexbeam does not occupy more horizontal space than the MINI-33-AW.

The CC MA5B turning radius is slightly smaller, at about 9 feet instead of 11 feet, but still "not much" smaller, and on 12/17 meters, it's only a rotary dipole and not a beam.

N8MGQ and KE9BV like this.