ad: M2Ant-1

Small Mini Beams (Mosley vs Cushcraft)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE9BV, May 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE9BV

KE9BV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in a area that our home lots are not that big and looking for advice on a small beam.....I am currently looking at the Mosley 33-AW which is small 3 element beam on a 6 ft boom and the Cushcraft MA5B. Both are similar in size and looking for someone who has either antenna and can comment on the performance of either of these beams. I am leaning towards the Mosley only because I don't really like the top hats on the Cushcraft beam. If anyone has any other thoughts on other beams that I have not heard of please let me know. I also like the Hex Beams but they are so tall and bulky but won't rule them out as well. Thanks in Advance

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hex beams aren't really "tall," they only occupy a few feet of vertical space and can provide five or even six bands with directional gain from a single antenna. 20m uses the largest elements and longest spreaders and occupies the most area both horizontally and vertically but the space each element pair requires is reduced with each increase in frequency band covered.

To make the antenna "smaller" and "less tall," one could leave out the 20m elements...but I sure wouldn't do that, as 20m is the best band most Hexbeams cover.:)

Not only do properly assembled and installed Hexbeams work very well, but they can accept legal limit power (1500W) without issue as they use no traps or anything that can saturate, overload, arc, or melt. The "mini-beams" often do use traps or loading devices that restrict power handling and ratings.

Given the choice, I'd go for a good Hexbeam if possible for a fairly "small beam" installation that will perform well.

W7EDC, DK7OB, W0PV and 2 others like this.
  3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more. A hex beam has more gain, better front to back/front to side ratio, more broad banded, light weight, smaller size (under most circumstances), more bands than just about any trap yagi. A Yagi antenna with traps was the standard for rotatable directions HF antennas for a long time, but better technology exists to day with the help of antenna modeling software.

Unless you plan on using 4 or more elements per band, it's hard to beat a Hex.

KE9BV likes this.
  4. KE9BV

KE9BV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at the DX Engineering Hex Beam it has a size of 22 ft across and 4 ft tall. I don't think I can swing 22 ft in size. What are some of the better hex beams out there?

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about the Cushcraft, but I did have a TA-33 JR on a 35 foot crank up, and it was a pretty good antenna on 20, 15, and 10. It was sturdy too, went through three tropical storms and a small hurricane with no damage, I did crank the tower down for the hurricane.

NL7W and N4NYK like this.
  6. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had good luck with my K4KIO hexbeam.

K0UO, K8BZ and W0PV like this.
  7. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, great antenna. I also have the shorty forty Stacked below my TA 33 WARC.

Frank

KE9BV and KA4DPO like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having owned the Mosley TA-53-M, its performance was in line with its size and suited my needs well. I liked Mosley's construction, however the TA-53-m was far from light weight and certainly not inexpensive. YMMV.

Before committing to a purchase, be sure to take into consideration not only gain, FB ratio, and turning radius, but equally important weight, surface area, and wind load specs - the latter two in respect to your QTH's weather extremes.

KE9BV likes this.
  9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the MA5B for a couple of years. Only up about 35 feet. Worked a lot of DX with it including DXCC on 12 and 17 in a 1 year period. The weak point with this antenna is the "power splitter" that allows one feed line to feed both the 2 element triband yagi and the WARC rotatable dipole. I chose to not use it and ran separate feedlines. Max power I used with the MA5B was 500 watts though it will handle more

KE9BV likes this.
  10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KIO broadbanded Hex Beam. 11 ft turning radius, 22 ft across. Full info at:

https://www.k4kio.com/

Go to the Gallery in the above link to see some installation photos.

https://www.k4kio.com/gallery/

Some are mounted on roof top quad-pod mounts.

WA8FOZ and W9RAC like this.