SMA: Super Maximum Aggrevation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG4YUV, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG4YUV

KG4YUV Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a Kenwood TH-G71A Dual Bander HT. Radio is built like a tank, dropped many times and still 100% functional. The radio is so brilliantly designed except for the SMA connector. It broke about two weeks ago, and I can't use my TH-G71A until I either repair or just get another radio.

Personally, from all the complaints I've heard about SMA all together, the person who came up with the SMA connector should be shot. Who's with me???

KG4YUV
    Patrick Wilson

P.S. If anyone has any upsaides to the SMA as well, I'd be GLAD to hear them...

2. WA6CAW

WA6CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

What can you expect from a gold plated connector, rated to not attenuate frequencies to 16GHz, constant impedance, and made in small quantities, or production runs.

But on the other hand, an "N" connector, which almost has the same spec's, would look a little out of place on your teensey HT.

Try this link for a source of supply:

http://www.rfparts.com/connectors.html#SMA

Personally, a BNC would do the job, since a flexible antenna will not represent a good 50 ohm load to a questionable 50 ohm source. Mismatch is the answer, and a 50 dollar connector will not help the problem. It does give you some sort of warm feeling since it is gold, like the emblem on your Cadillac, which you pay extra for.

Go figure................ [​IMG]

3. AC2I

AC2I Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess it's not such a tank afterall [​IMG]

Very few hams understand my fascination with old Motorola HT's, but then again I will never understand all these problems.

HT's have to be tough, especially at the antenna connector. Not just cute and credit card sized with lots of pretty buttons.

It's not like they cost more than $50... every ham should have at least 1.

4. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I used SMA and SMB connectors on the Satellites buzzying overhead ever since 1960 and found them to be an excellent connector. I am surprised though they (the manufacture) would waste such a good connector on Amateur Radio gear it must be 2 meters.There are probably more than a 50 gallon drum full of SMA connectors on the average satellite and more on the bigger ones. If you are having a high failure rate you might want to review the envoirment in which they are being used, possibly they are being over stressed.
    ENJOY!! Life and Ham Radio are Learning experiences ......   73,   ORV
    [​IMG]

5. N0PU

N0PU Guest

My bet is that the SMA connector is just fine...

It is probably the connection between SMA and the internal circuitry that has gone bad... that is usually the weak point...

SMA is a very good connector... usually the designers forget to make them stable enough to hold up under the strain of constant flexing...

Are ya brave enough to open 'er up and take a peek?

If you do try to fix it yourself you better have VERY good soldering skills on micro-mini circuits... not for the faint of heart or inexperienced person...

6. KG4YUV

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0PU @ Aug. 30 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is probably the connection between SMA and the internal circuitry that has gone bad... that is usually the weak point...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think you understand. I literally mean it BROKE. As in broke off the radio. I rarely ever gave it any stress myself, but like I said, it's gotta be something Kenwood's doing wrong on the TH-G71A. Radio is built like a tank, but it's weakest point is that darn SMA!

7. N0PU

N0PU Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4YUV @ Aug. 30 2003,16:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I literally mean it BROKE. As in broke off the radio.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does that mean the connector itself broke.... or the case holding the connector broke?

If it's the connector, then ya got a legit complaint about the connector... if it is the case that broke then that is a case design problem...

[I hate riceboxes... but that's just me and an opinion...and you know what that is worth!]

8. KG4YUV

I mean it broke off the radio. The rest is like a tank. (Dangit, there I go again [​IMG] )

9. KG4YUV

Sorry, misworded that. The connector itself broke.

10. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

As in the connector is actually in two pieces, it just didn't break off the radio leaving the connections behind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.