ad: MyersEng-1

Slow cw frequencies

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AD9Y, Jun 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD9Y

AD9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Everyone I have a questions on operating cw , I am wondering where the best frequencies are to operate slow cw I am around 5 wpm . I like 20 and 40 meters alot and have had a few qso`s around 14.050 and 7.050. are these good frequencies for slow cw ?

2. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Try 7.112 +/- in the old novice band.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You can actually find slow CW all over the bands. As long as you can drum up a QSO with a partner who will also QRS, you're good to go.

That said, you are probably more likely to find QRS in the old 40mtr novice band as suggested, but many of the SKCC crew hang around 7050 and 14050 and most are not speed demons themselves. Even if they are, they will match the speed you call them at.

Join SKCC if you have not already. Visit their 'sked page' and you will have many people wanting to QSO with you.

http://www.skccgroup.com/

KC3RN and WA7PRC like this.
  4. AD9Y

AD9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I will have to give those frequencies a try this weekend and also look into the skcc . Now when calling cq in cw I send qrl first and then use a 3 by 2 call is this a good procedure .

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen to the freq for a few minutes first. If you hear nothing go ahead and send qrl? And listen for a bit for answers. If you hear the letter C (means yes, o correct if you stretch a bit) or 'yes', then find another freq an try again.

If all is ok, no answer to your qrl?, Go ahead and call CQ.

I usually send 3x3x2 or 3x3x3.

6. AD9Y

AD9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking at old forums on which frequencies are for the novice portions and i have found that for 40 meters the novice portion was 7.025 and 7.125 . Is It the same area on 20 meters ?

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it best on 20 m to stay above 14050. Mainly because it's likely that there will be guys trying to work DX lower down in the band, but I have heard slower ragchewing going on from time to time.

The OLD OLD novices were not even allowed to use 20 m!

8. AD9Y

AD9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

ah ok thanks for the info I will try 40 meters this weekend and see if i can get a qso or two !

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll keep an ear open for ya!

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Blake, sorry you couldn't get my callsign through the qrn and qrm just now on 14.050

Your signal was 579 into nj

Next time hope conditions better! Keep workin at it!