ad: GNOHF-1

Sloper - what to do w/ Counterpoise?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W8WJW, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Feed them all with one feedline. Use coax. If you have RF in the shack or you hear a lot of interference from your household devices, try inserting a 1:1 balun at the feedpoint. Do not use a transformer balun (eg. 4:1 or 9:1). The impedance on each band should be a good match to 50 ohms so there's no need for impedance transformation!

Many thousands of us started out with these as our first good antennas, and it is a mystery today why so many new hams reject them out of hand.

Whatever the manufacturer suggests. Get in the habit of reading instructions and manuals to get the answers to questions like this one; that is the surest way to success.

WE6C, K7TRF and NH7RO like this.
  2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, indeed!

WE6C likes this.
  3. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

1/2 wave dipole, center fed at the top of the chimney. Run the wires/elements the best you can for your yard. If you don't have enuff room for the 80 meter elements, bend them to fit. Try it like YUZ says above. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. No ground radials needed. Easy peasy.

You'll hear many more signals than you described in post #1.

W8WJW likes this.
  4. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The same thing could be said for the basic home brewed doublet ...... but I would imagine many more started out with a single doublet and tuner than a fan dipole.
    Variety is the spice of life I guess ..... things wouldn't be much fun of we were all the same.

To the OP , to bad about the all the dead trees. My first 160m antenna was a sloper, but I used a tree (no tower). Actually worked quite well since I didn't have to deal with some of the gremlins of tower interaction. It wasn't a monster signal, but it worked out a couple hundred miles. I just ran the counterpoise wires is a lawn mower friendly direction on the ground an let it go.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  5. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks all for the suggestions, XYL approval is next...