Sloper Antenna attached to chimney

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AI9O, Jun 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AI9O

AI9O Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a sloper antenna attached to a chimney that is about 25 feet tall? I have a feeling that it's not going to work because slippers are generally used in conjunction with a tower.

Thanks

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What band? True quarter wave sloper or sloping dipole?

3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Whichever you have experience with.:D

4. KP4SX

Well, I had a true sloper on 40 but it worked against a tower. If OP uses a sloper from a chimney what is the shield of the coax connected to?

5. K1FBI

Hopefully a ground or counterpoise unless he wants a nice vertical radiator.

6. KP4SX

Well, if he runs a fat piece of copper down from feed point on the chimney then it effectively resembles working against a tower! If he feeds it from the bottom then its a ' leaning vertical' :)

7. K1FBI

Reminds me of Pisa;)

8. KP4SX

Pisa Pisa. Yummy :)

KC8VWM and K1FBI like this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer Pizza Pizza myself... :)

[​IMG]

Not sure why you are looking for someone's previous experience with slopers. Besides the idea they "could" be installed on towers, they can be installed just about anywhere.

Slopers were also popular with the military for use as portable antennas. Should work just fine hanging from a chimney.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A sloper up only 25' above ground would have to be for a higher frequency band like 20m or above (17, 15, 12, 10, 6 or whatever) otherwise it wouldn't be a "sloper," it would be a wire that's mostly horizontal and too low for the other bands. And even for 20m that would be a "half sloper," which is just an end-fed 1/4-wave fed against some sort of counterpoise. For a "full-sloper" (which is usually a 1/2-wave center fed that just happens to be sloping), it would need to be for 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m or above.

A half-wave end-fed with a great matching transformer at the feedpoint can almost ignore the mast or any ground return and can still work if engineered well. Might be as much as 3 dB down from the same antenna center-fed, but 3 dB isn't much if the alternative is no antenna.

What band(s) are you trying to use??