Skyloop in the city

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N0LOZ, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

loops kick booty

2. N0LOZ

N0LOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Welp, over the weekend I have put up a 40m dipole with a 1:1 balun and coax running to the tuner.

I also put up the lower polls with pullies on the back of the lot, and have also got the polls on the house. The ones at the back of the lot are not as tall as I wanted, only 18 feet tall. I couldn't find another pipe that was just the right size. On the plus side, if I do find that poll of the right diamater, I can just drop it in place. Next weekend I will start to run the wire for the skyloop.

After looking at everything, I don't think I am going to get the full length I am after, but I might be able to if I make more a diamond shape and tag off the pully I am using for the 40m dipole.

3. N0LOZ

Well, I got a wild hair and ran the wire. Talk about a lesson in frustration.

The polls are not strong enough to stand straight. Need to re-inforce them. The poll on one side of the house keep ripping off the house, yet the other side has no issue.

And even after I did get it to stay in the air, it refused to tune.

Not sure how the other one worked so well.

I took it all down, and will tackle it another way later. (Looking into some telescoping strong polls).

So now, I'm just using the wire to run radials for my 5btv that I put up last night. Two radials and I can hear Hawaii, and can get PSK from New Zealand.

4. N0LOZ

Welp, I now have used all the wire for the skyloop to put a radial system in on the 5btv, and that made a total of 7 radials, and some slop left over.

I didn't bury all of them yet, too lazy, but will get to that in the next day or two. My noise floor without radials on 20m was S7 in early afternoon, now it's S3.

The radials are the same hight as the tower, exactly.

After I save up some more money, I will be trying to do the skyloop again, but with different polls. Actually looking at the collapsable ones currently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.