SK's Old QSL Cards, an Idea of what to do with them, send them back. :)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2HAT, Apr 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Hello my Friends.

I was at a local Amateur Radio Club meeting about a month ago, where after the meeting
    the Club does an Auction as a fund raiser to put a little money in the coffers getting ready for Field Day.

If you sell an item, 10% of the proceeds to a max of $20. goes to the Club.

Some years some Silent Key stuff gets donated and this year there was a box of a SK's old QSL Cards.

I took a quick look at a few of the 500+- cards and saw many were from 1966-1970,
    and most were domestic, but there was some from other DX Countries.

I was the high bidder and when I got the cards home, for the heck of it I looked up the Call of
    one of the Cards, and the person still had the same Call, but different address.

I decided to send him back his old QSL Card and included a note, and my "eyeball qsl card"
    in the envelope.

I then started to research several of the other QSL cards and using some techniques I have
    learned by searching for Silent Keys, was able to track down so far, about 60 of the folks.

I have gotten replies from about 10 people so far saying how nice it was to get back a 40-50 year old QSL card, and that they did not have a sample of that old style.
    I even got back one of Bill's old cards.
    One person sent me some US Postage stamps and another sent a donation. :)

I am a subscriber not only here, but also at Hamcall.net, where they have old Call Books
    scanned and searchable, so you can search by name, or Old Call Sign. :)

Perhaps you will come across a box of Old QSL cards, rather than throw them away, why not
    send them back to the person who sent them out years ago, kind of like an old Friend come
    back to visit from the past.

The Call Sign of the SK was WN7EWL, then WA7EWL William "Bill" Edwards.
    Bill was born in 1907, near Hudson, NY and it seems in the early 1960's moved to Arizona.
    In the mid 1960's he got his Novice License and got on the air doing a lot of CW, and soon upgraded to General Class.

He still had Family here in the East and ended up moving back to the area in the late 1970's
    or early 1980's and he became SK in 1998 age 91.

upload_2017-4-29_9-27-20.png

upload_2017-4-29_9-6-36.png

upload_2017-4-29_9-9-51.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    KE0TNL, W8NDB, K8PG and 7 others like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that's novel, and really a neat idea. Cool! Imagine the other end when they open up that letter? Wow.

3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a simular situation abt 2 years ago. I was fortunate enough to get a small stack of the SK's cards and those that I could I responded to their cards with a note explaining the SK's demise. Yeah it cost me a few bucks but the responses I received were worth the effort. Kind of a QSL from the hamvention in the sky.

We should all remember first and foremost that we are a global community and a little bit of ham brotherhood goes a long way.

KE0TNL, WA4CZD and (deleted member) like this.
  4. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

EGADs .... I must have 25,000 QSL card from 56 years of contesting and DXing. Stuffed in shoeboxes. Are they worth anything to collectors? Has anyone the solution to this?

LAYNE AE1N

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Layne,

Yes, some may be worth something to a collector. Hard to say.

A few years back, someone had a very large assortment of old QSL cards for sale at Dayton.

I was able to find an old W3WN card from the original holder, along with some cards from previous holders of current cards. But the biggest find was that of the "W8" (pre WW2) card of a current W3 station up in Beaver County. I was able to give Jerry that card the next time I saw him, and he was floored!

So you never know.

I know that at one time, there were one or two museums or museum-type collections who were accepting old QSL cards for posterity. I don't know if they're still around or accepting donations, but if you have no other future plans for your cards, looking into one of those would be a thought.

AE1N and (deleted member) like this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

The old hand made card by WA5TOR sure sparked a lot of great memories, of many others like it. :)

I'd love to get an older card with my first call, WV2DPB or WA2DPB. They are out there some where. :)

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL cards are interesting in that the received ones bring a little excitement when you get them and look at them. Some rare ones you may display otherwise they paper your old shack wall or more likely end up in boxes never to be seen again.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always on the lookout for old cards from my college club station (8XE / W8XE / W8YA / W3YA). I have scans of a lot of them, from various sources, but not the actual cards.

During my brief tenure there, I commissioned a pen & ink drawing that we used on one set of cards. I still have the artwork (well, I did pay for it out of pocket). I would like one day, if they would be interested, in presenting them the artwork, surrounded by a montage of some of the old cards.

9. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_0374.JPG
    If you stumble across one of these send it cod.
    I like your thinking. Great job sir.

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that is a great idea Most people probably don't know what the QSL cards are, and once they understand it would be a nice piece of memorabilia.