ad: AbAuRe-1

SKN: Why New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7MW, Jan 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

In the days immediately following VJ Day in 1945, my dad and fellow-ham Signal Corps cronies in their New Guinea posting, and their counterparts in similar situations near and far, had a brief spell of ham-band bootlegging fun with scrounged gear, fake (and DX-juicy) calls more or less indicating country of origin during their brief on-air appearance as soon-to-be-rarer-than-rare Asian DX.

No suitable key had been found by the time receiver, transmitter and slapdash skyhook had been cobbled together for their first try, so they decided to use the two hands/two wires method. Contact! But as the moment for a critical QSO formality arrived with dad at the "key," on the verge of sending his real first name he realized that NAME HR ROD was potentially a short path to getting into hot water with Command. In his excitement to send something, anything, what followed OP HR came out as ECK. And so it was that "Eck" became the sine of the anonymous collective operator on the previous W9BRD's impromptu first DXpedition.

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD
    Eck, Jr.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    N0NB, W3SY, K5ITM and 3 others like this.
  2. K5ITM

K5ITM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s the other SKN… silent key night.

W4NNF likes this.
  3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

And what's the deal with Grape Nuts? No grapes... no nuts... What's the deal?

KI5WW, K4NWD, K5ITM and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You open the box expecting grapes and you say "Nuts!".

KI5WW and K5ITM like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is also vintage gear night at the same time.

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes indeed. Even when we used to go out for dinner on NYE we were usually home pretty early. Haven't gone out for NYE for years now. Safer and warmer to stay at home. Setting up my HW-16 for SKN is an annual thing. Even if I didn't get on in the evening, there was still plenty of activity on NYD. Smell of hot tube gear while tucked away safely in a warm house is much more fun than partying to ring in the year.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. W9BRD

[​IMG]

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know, but it reminds me of wild hickory nuts.

W3SY likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same deal as with an egg cream. ;)

W3SY likes this.
  10. W9BRD

Huh, so varied and many were the assignments and writeups that I forgot that I did the writeup for SKN 1986 in April 1987 QST. Here's my concluding paragraph, which nicely reflects WIK's "two wires" theme:

skn_1986_writeup_coda.jpg