SKN: Why New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7MW, Jan 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to start up a NKN, or no-key night.

We contact each other by touching wires together.

It works! One can probably develop a very good "touch" with enough practice.:)

2. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see Silent Key Night. Exchange would be signal report, current celestial quadrant, and year of expiration of your ARRL Life Membership.

K5ABB likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Many aren't as fortunate as you are with families close at hand...
    You may want to consider some look forward to this event all year since many have nothing else planned that evening.

KC7JNJ, KC2SIZ, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

As some of us are unfortunate for the same reason. Hence why we plan for it every year.

N8AFT and KC2SIZ like this.
  5. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang out on the published SKCC frequencies: http://www.skccgroup.com/membership_data/opfreq.php

No, it's not ARRL SKN but there are plenty of like minded folk around those frequencies.

As for the why of SKN on 01 Jan UTC, to me the idea of celebrating Morse Code heritage during the time that we ceremoniously change from one calendar year to the next is fitting in its own right.

W9BRD likes this.
  6. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't follow why it's called Straight Key "Night" since it goes on during the day too?
    Ken

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

As you can see from the post above about the first running, it originally was just one night. At some point (IIRC, it was the 1990s, but I could be mistaken), it was extended to a full 24 hours (partly for the reasons advanced in the original post), but they kept the name.

WA1GXC and N4QX like this.
  8. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

It was 24 hours encompassing the entire 1 Jan 1982 UTC day. I was curious to check as the Dec 1981 number was the second issue of QST I received as an Associate (unlicensed) member.

According to my quick research, 1 Jan 1977 was the first full 24 hour run of SKN. 1 Jan 1976 it ran for six hours beginning at 0100z.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea, but only with direct (not relay) cathode keying the output stage of tube type transmitters with plate voltages of at least 300 VDC.

KC7JNJ and W3SY like this.
  10. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the entire thread. It started out as a 5-h-long event on New Year's Eve.

And then first get "Field Day" changed to transpire only during daylit hours, and then you go after Straight Key Night for expanding to an entire UTC day.