SKN: Why New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7MW, Jan 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back when, it was the perfect reason to make sure every TV set was going to be interrupted, Straight key night was always better than the ball drop. Hearing everyone complain was cool because it was a major event that went on for weeks.

slide_10.jpg

This was the plan for winning.

rfi1.jpg

This is what they saw instead.

interference-cartoon-bw.png

This is what we snickered about and shrugged our
    shoulders. I was in bed...

wan-award.jpg

We always won Straight key Night, only knowing how to send DAH.

RRK

WA1GXC and NL7W like this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

We are just thinking about this too much. Someone thought, "Hey, there's no op event on NYE. How about an informal session where anyone with the time and inclination can drop in or not?"

You know, while you're waiting for the ball to drop. Or for Guy Lumbago to again take to the air. Or whatever. Why does there always have to be a sociopoliticocommentarian reason? (Oh, right: Because this is the Zed.)

Honestly. It was and is about having fun on the air. Move along.

Propagation wasn't the only thing about ham radio that was better in 1970.

WN1MB and WA1GXC like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

thankfully, it doesnt have to be NYE for you - every month, there is a "weekend sprint' and a Tuesday 2-hour spring sponsored by SKCC - lots of activity for both so pick one that works best for you!

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who roll over on their reset buttons in their sleep wake up to a NYD every day.

5. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry if it's inconvenient. You know you can use a straight key at any time of the year.

KI5WW and N8RKD like this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's amend that...."You know, you can practice using a straight key off-the-air at any time of the year."

--WA1GXC
    "5wpm Extra since '19"

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, let's see...New Year's Eve for me? Without SKN it would be...put the dishes in the dishwasher...open a cold 807 or two...television with the cats until I drop off. :)

Something about sending a CQ into the night with a straight key...maybe with one of my Heathkits...on the chilly cusp of a new year makes the event special for me.

While conditions weren't great this year, I worked a dozen states over a few hours and had a great time...till it was time for, yeah, TV with the felines. The young folks should be out carousing...it's their time...of course. :)

W4CDO and KQ9J like this.
  8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who gave it a shot and were scared-to-death, unsure, fumbling......Good for you. No one's Code skills are imprinted in your brain when
    the delivery-doctor dropped you on the tile floor. You have to practice, improve, struggle with your feelings of inadequacy, and keep on going--
    and you will be rewarded. You don't have to be fast. You can enjoy Morse at any speed. And you should, despite the New-Age fiction propagated around
    here by U-TooB-monetizing hucksters and new guys and gals who don't know any better--It's not about speed. In the Bad Old Days when everyone
    was beaten with a stick to learn Morse or skulked-away in shame, 13wpm was the mark of many established Old-Timers, competent in many facets of
    Amateur radio.

Do not feel peer-pressure from peers who have no institutional knowledge. Was SKN fun despite the nervousness? I bet it was. Then keep going.
    Adjust the key to your exact liking, buy an old ARRL publication (almost any one) and read about operating with The Code. Take it to heart. Go
    slow, and don't be discouraged. If I were gigging you $8 bucks a month online to convince you to go-fast, I'd push that lie, too.

Morse is fun. You don't have to overthink it any more than that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    W5WN, WZ7U, W3KHG and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then right on! Having taken apart a AM/FM clock radio for
    violation of the warranty period. And discovering that the slick designer replaced the antenna with a inductive coupled bit of wire to the AC Mains. Was free lunch enough for a SKN from the devil almost...

RRK

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

^ Both nailed it soundly.

W5WN and N8AFT like this.