SKCC

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jul 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not right now, because after twenty-odd years of banging along a 25-30 WPM I've lost the ability to send cleanly below about 15 WPM!!! I'm trying to get it back.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. Though I've been walking and running for well over 64 years, I'm fairly certain I could still crawl very well if I had to...

W7UUU likes this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A straight key will slow you right down. ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is with a straight key! I can't send legibly any slower than about fifteen WPM anymore:eek:

5. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

WIK Steve I know you can run pretty fast on CW, so maybe the SKCC guys using a J-38 or worse.. felt like 22-28 WPM was out of his league.
    lots of Ops will end the QSO at high speed. Just a thought ?

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just use the Farnsworth method. ;)

Steve / W5BIB

W7UUU, WB5YUZ and WN1MB like this.
  7. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, just get a number, it’s painless. Keeping up with the dang thing is an issue for me.

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL - Get to work. I'll practice with you.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Big cross-section of WPM ability in SKCC. I would say, however, that the majority of SKCC operations are at 20wpm or below.

Another "however" is that SKCC doesn't specify that an actual straight key is required. Mechanically-generated Morse is what is required. So that also includes sideswipers (cootie keys) and semi-automatic bugs but excludes keyers and keyboards. Cootie and bug operators can certainly generate Morse much faster than simple straight keys and can participate using those devices.

Not trying to be offensive, but I believe that WIK and others just don't want to work slower and/or less skilled CW operators. That's fine. So SKCC probably isn't for them and never will be. Maybe someday, the work SKCC does to improve CW skills might just turn out a few more better/faster operators who can join the elite ranks.

WN1MB, K8PRG, W5BIB and 2 others like this.
  10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose that outside of emergency operations inside a truly emergency situation there is a reason to dis almost any amateur activity. There is a positive aspect to doing DX work,
    but mostly I hear "slam bam thank you maam" contacts. Contests prove the mettle or lack of it for those who participate, but for those outside, it's usually just a bunch of QRM.
    Traffic handling says it's purposes are well intentioned and help prepare its ops for emergency work. If you are having a nice quiet ragchew on 7052.5 at the time CAN cranks up
    using its 3 to 4 channels of traffic spam, you might tend to disagree.
    Look at the SKCC web site and you will find a lot of opportunities to award in several areas. It's designed to get you on the air using the mechanical key. As to whether all the
    activity can be justified, the same question could be asked of any amateur activity. I fail to see a problem. 73

WN1MB, K8PRG and W9EBE like this.