SKCC

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jul 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so grateful for folks like N8AFT who put up with my learning process...or as WIK puts it, my "crappy fist" days. And I also credit SKCC for making CW fun. I truly believe all those "wam bams" make you better quickly.
    CW is just a game, and SKCC is a game within the game....K8PRG

KA3CTQ, N8AFT, KE4OH and 1 other person like this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

TNX Rick! We need to get both of our HW-8's airborne in a duet QSO sometime this year.
    Yes, I still enjoy coaching the new slow code ops every chance I get.
    I'm QRV @ 7118 when not railroading. Available for any es all....

Learn Morse
    Do CW

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to set things straight, I don't feel like you stepped on my toes. ;) It is, of course, possible that I misunderstood your previous posts. On the up-side, now you have a contest calendar so you know when contesters will be ruining all the fun. :)

KE4OH likes this.
  4. N8AFT

But they (contests) aren't Every Month of the year and most are not taking up the entire 40m band.
    Most CW contests these days have set limits/section of frequency to operate within...
    I'm not suggesting anything that will hurt the SKCC program one bit and it is not too much to ask for.
    Tying up the Entire 40m CW portion for 48 hours 24 days a year is a bit excessive.
    Just leave us non participants some room for normal amateur use sans WES is ALL I'm asking....

Learn Morse
    Do CW

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I have to call shenanigans that the SKCC weekend sprints consume the entire 40m CW band. WES activity is nearly all between 7.050 and 7.060. If there is a RTTY or major CW contest going on at the same time, the activity generally moves to 7.110 - 7.120. (That 7.110 - 7.120 range is the unofficial QRS band. Do you spend a lot of time there helping newbies improve their skills?) Yes, there will be a few that go a kc or so above or below that, but not much and not many. There also are a handful of DX members who will pick a spot outside of 7.050 - 7.060. Again, not many.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    N2SUB, WN1MB, KA3CTQ and 2 others like this.
  6. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, my experience as well.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. N8AFT

Realistically, WES ops go where they hear activity period, it's a contest, right?
    Many op's these days use a panadapter to see where there is activity and go there regardless of club water holes.
    No, In a perfect world there would be only activity on frequencies that you've suggested but that isn't the case.
    Perhaps being that this is how it is and will stay, than how about an SKCC WES rules change then?
    WES participants cannot score by answering Non-WES CQ's? Maybe that would provide a workable solution.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have pan adapter and it clearly shows the bulk of the activity in the prescribed area ( same for NAQCC sprints). There may be the stray cat here and there, but when I played in my first WES and I did call CQ WES up in the QRS 7.110- area on 40, I received no replies... I quickly realized that the activity was elsewhere...as far as answering a non WES CQ, I find the opposite happens to me quite frequently, someone answers my WES CQ and wants to have a rag chew... I usually just abandon the contest for a while out of courtesy and have the chat, but I'm perplexed as to why someone would answer that call expecting a long QSO (edited to add this ... I assume just not aware and obviously not everyone is a SKCC member or know of the contests). I agree on the rule change ... make the suggestion.

and this... No matter, its a great group and has done very well in the promotion of morse via manual keying methods.... I'm glad I joined.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    KE4OH likes this.
  10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Vibroplex HK-Deluxe straight key. I like it a lot, but yeah, it isn't cheap. Think it's going for $200+ brand new. Very well made, nice feel to it, nice heavy base.