SKCC "Etiquette"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KO4LZ, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will definable get some of that! I wonder if it's advertised in the back of QST? :) Thinking of the time period this was advertised, ONE DOLLAR was actually significant money.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

2. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

A QSO is an exchange of each other's call and RST report. A QSO doesn't have to go into your weather, rig, or your age, for it to be a QSO. That's all optional...besides, none believe how old I am because I'm so young looking. :)

3. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

This just in....in latest QST/Quick Stats:
    "On CW, do you prefer short contacts or longer conversations?"
    Short contacts, 52%
    Long chats, 18%
    I don't do CW, 30%
    Just an FYI

4. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I hear a CQ SKCC, then I know the op is looking for SKCC approved keying devices in the QSO, whether it's SKS, WES, or a ragchew. Some just want the number, some want to just have a relaxed old style CW contact.
    There has been an occasion or two when after exchanging routine, non-SKCC info, the other op sends his number. When this happens and I'm on an iambic, I explain the situation and ask for a moment to change keys.
    Then I recommence sending his call, my call and the standard SKCC info. It's an honest effort to make the info exchange meaningful. For me personally, to send my number while on an iambic would compromise my
    integrity and the integrity of his future award. Just my take on it.
    SKCC is a great organization, because it's composed of some great ops who love the old way of communicating. To say it's all about a number is missing the point, even though some seem to be obsessed with the collection.
    So be it. More power to them. Good luck with the award. If you hear my number on the air, it will be sent with one of my mechanical keys. 73.

WN1MB likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I caught the very tail-end of a CQ from a ZL6 the other night, just the DE ZL6... part and the K. When I called him he gave me his SKCC number. I had to apologize and say I wasn't a member. He was polite enough, but ended the QSO quickly. Sure enough, when he began calling again I heard his whole CQ, and he was sending "CQ SKCC." I still feel bad.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No big deal. Some of the SKCC ops like to run through QSOs pretty quickly... collecting them for awards, etc. I have never had one brush me off because I don't have a number, but generally I expect a quick QSO with them.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use multiple keying devices into a box I built with a high-speed relay that can then key up to 6 different rigs, at the turn of a switch. So should I happen to be on my MFJ 464 keyer and come across an SKCC CQ, I just grab the "USN Explosion Proof" straight key or the Vibroplex, which all feed into the keying interface. That way I can totally comply with "straight key or bug only" events without so much as moving a cable :)

Dave
    W7UUU
    SKCC 10168

WN1MB and N1OOQ like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

My beef is this; I am the one who actually Started the QSO... I begin with RST, QTH including city and state, name and etc.
    What I think that would be good manners is if the SKCC number hunters would ablige us with the same info we sent including city or town QTH.
    WX, rig, ant etc and enjoy a short QSO. The number will come but let's enjoy our time to visit... too much to ask for?
    Instead all we get for our trouble is this classic "SKCC contest style script QSO"... I do not understand - what is the big rush? Why hurry?
    There's no contest or WES going on when this occurs BTW. I can accept it then, fully understand it.
    Maybe all the Morse these guys can copy/send is the contest QSO script?? I've been advised such is certainly the case in many instances, hi.
    If learning Morse and gaining experience is truly what this is all about then it makes complete sense to have more lengthy QSO's and
    gain the experience rather than the same re-hash over and over again of minimal contest QSO info and 73.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree completely - if there's not an actual Sprint contest going, I don't see a good reason why not have a decent little QSO out of the deal.

BUT, there are indeed CW operators who only are able to do the very basic stuff. I have a friend who "learned" Morse a few years ago, and to date has many CW awards and endorsements, including Triple Play and DXCC. A few years ago he pinged me when he wanted my state for a bunch of bands, I learned in mere moments on the very first of the QSOs that he had absolutely no idea what I was saying to him! :eek:

We were running around 22 WPM - nice chill QSO speed (that he chose I should add!) and my comments weren't anything unusual - I merely told him which rig I was running, what my antenna was, etc. He simply came back with "TU 73 DE XXXX". This repeated over a couple more bands - and I finally just asked via CW "Do you copy what I am saying? BK" - and again, just "TU 73 DE XXXX" That's when I realized.

He eventually confided by email that the only things he can exchange in Morse are really just call signs. Since copying an RST accurately isn't required for any award (who's going verify it?), he'd just report 599, and send 599. The ONLY thing copied was the call. Period.

So yes - there are operators out there like that. Is it good or bad? I can't tell you. But I can say that if that were the extent of my skills, I would not run the mode at all.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    W5BIB and KG7WGX like this.
  10. N0MAP

N0MAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And if that's all they can do, so what? They shouldn't operate CW despite being able to complete a valid QSO?

Not very long ago that was about the limit of my own abilities, and I sure did appreciate all those who had QSOs with me then despite my not having the skill or nerve to delve into the details of my rig, the wx etc. Since I joined in December, the SKCC has added nearly 1000 members. I would say the organization is doing a ton more for the future of cw operating than is your condescending attitude toward it.

And, lest you wonder, just last night I had a nice 15min rag chew with a non-skcc op moments after several skcc nr exchange QSOs.

WN1MB likes this.