ad: elecraft

SKCC "Etiquette"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KO4LZ, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I participated in the SKCC Weekend Sprint Today. I did 14 QSOs, getting 13 new counties in the process. I may, or may not, be back with it tomorrow.

I'll admit that it was fun, and I'm glad that I did it. So on my march to Centurion, it's 14 down, and 86 to go.

A QSO is a QSO, and the more the merrier. This is a way to get more of them, regardless of whether or not there's an award involved.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I would rather enjoy a Real QSO vs an exchange of information which is all a WES is about. Boring to me.
    A real QSO lasts more than just the 60 second avg WES exchange. A QSO involves actual conversation es interaction.
    So yes, a QSO IS a QSO and an Exhange is just an Exchange. Please note the cbvious difference OM....

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

SKCC Fun Getting SKCC Awards
    I managed to get the single band C and T endorsements for all bands except 12M. That Includes 160 and 60M endorsements. Mostly with rag chew type QSOs.
    Also got WAS and WAS-C and the PFX award. Close to getting the Maple Leaf award also.
    Had lots of fun working all those SKCC members from across the country and a few other continents too.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

ALWAYS good to work you John! Thanks for being a good example of SKCC principles... 73 lane

5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lane,

Just checked the logbook and see that I've worked you 4 times. Looks like a nice long QSO twice and the other two were short exchanges during SKCC weekend sprints. I admit, I'm an SKCC number chaser. But once I have your number, I still welcome a substantial QSO and will stay on as long as we have something to talk about. But during a sprint, which is more or less a contest, I just want the number.

I believe I heard you calling CQ on 40m during this weekend's sprint. I elected not to answer based on your post here. I thought that would be for the best.

Hope to catch you again soon. But NOT during a sprint!

73 de Steve KE4OH

6. KO4LZ

KO4LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this "microphone" thing that everyone is talking about? What do you use one for? :)

Seriously though, I don't think I ever unpacked the microphone for any of my HF rigs ....

7. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's like the one for my IC-7200, it has a couple of buttons on top, labeled "up" and "down" which is Martian for "dit" and "dah." There is a menu option that allows the use of these "dit" and "dah" buttons to send amateur radio signals with the internal keyer.

I understand that some amateurs attempt to use them to send their voices through the ether. I've never tried that; sounds like junk science to me.

Cheers,

Chuck VE7PJR

KO4LZ likes this.
  8. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep mic handy to use the up and dwn buttons to scan 40M from couch.

9. KC9TR

KC9TR Ham Member QRZ Page

SKCC is not strictly straight key. By SKCC definition, straight key is any mechanical not being used with a keyer, AKA typical straight key, bug, cootie. Me myself, I can`t use a standard straight key for more than a minute or so due to arthritis. I bought a Begali HST II. I have a keyer, but it is disconnected. I flipped the switch on my HST and use it as a cootie. (sideswipper) The cootie was developed as a result of repetitive stress injury, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Old ops refer to it as glass arm.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Horse hockey! You just need some of this:

telegraphers_liniment.jpg