ad: dxeng

SKCC "Etiquette"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KO4LZ, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Joined SKCC just for grins -- but I support the mission of the organization. Like WN1MB I started when code was not optional. I used it for a while but like a lot of my friends I was mainly interested in getting a radio with a microphone on it. HI Now I have a radio and a small collection of straight keys and bugs -- and I have yet to even read the manual to figure out how to use the radio with the microphone. It's around here somewhere...

I enjoy CW. Heck, I'm bilingual and enjoy both Morse and Continental though I enjoy Continental more (probably because I learnt it first).

I don't get a lot of time for radio but I have made an effort to make at least a contact a day when I'm home on the weekends. I turn the radio on and usually leave it running with the volume just high enough that I'll hear when my favourite band comes in. Most of my QSOs seem to happen around 0000Z which is local 1600. With 50 watts and a short wire vertical I've been getting into the US Midweast and upper East Coast pretty well on 30m.

I'm not usually the first one in the exchange to send the SKCC number, but if someone does I'll always respond.

Chuck

WN1MB and N2SUB like this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as casual SKCC exchange QSO's go, myself I never have initiated one. Because I am not into collecting numbers nor do I need to have some sort of status initial at the end of my SKCC #s
    I do have a bone to pick with the more 'rabid' of the SKCC participants;
    To those of you that are in the "constant contestant" mode please be considerate enough to those of us who do not share youe zeal for all the points one can gather. If I do not provide you my SKCC # as quickly as you seem to think I should, Please be thoughtful enough to sign 73 SK instead of just leaving the QSO in progress without at least a friendly Good-Bye. Break bk in, I'm QSK, I'll hear you alright...
    Please and Thank You Lane 72 / 73 de n8aft sk ..

N2SUB likes this.
  3. KQ4MM

KQ4MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@N8AFT Interesting obesevation, I'm a still a pretty new CW OP and SKCC member, but I am pretty active and do use the clubs log tool to keep track of QSOs. I try and make at least 1-3 CW QSOs per day and prefer longer conversations outside of the standard (rst, OTH, name, wx). I still use a template to send from just to keep me focused, and I initially had started sending my number on the first round after name ( that would be when someone has answered my CQ and I start the 1st round)... What I have noticed on calls where I answer a CQ ( and I know the station is a SKCC member because I have checked) they never typically send their number on the 1st round and seem to wait. That said, I started waiting till later in the QSO to send mine. I have yet to date had something other than QSB cut off a QSO with any CW OP ( doesn't mean it won't happen) and I'm still fairly QRS ( probably has some to do with it). I to am not much into awards, in fact I have none other than 2 from SKCC ( Rag chew award and Centurion for 100 contacts). I will say that rediscovering CW after being QRT for 25 years has been the best thing, I'm totally hooked and even put the mic in the desk drawer for now.

Lane I have heard you calling CQ before, next time I will answer, but you'll have to QRS for me, I'm just now working past 10-13 wpm

Best Regards .. Brian - KQ4MM

WN1MB and N2SUB like this.
  4. N8AFT

Thanks Brian, and I will send the speed you are comforatble with.
    Tell me slow down more if you need too.
    I am QSK so just start sending if you need to break in....

5. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know that I have ever experienced that, but now that you mention it I have had QSOs cut off in the middle. I always assumed it was the band conditions.

6. N8AFT

Sorry to say it's happened more than just twice in this year.
    Maybe the same op... Wasn't even during a WES an band was FB too. Always after the op sent his quickie exchange and number.
    Haven't worked you yet but look fwd to a QSO soon.. 40m is my main band es above 7050. I CQ QRP a lot on 7060.
    73 lane

7. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

That hasn't happened to me.....yet. When the WA Salmon Run was going on earlier this year, I called CQ twice looking for a ragchew, got the quick "DE W#xxx" and was dropped because I responded in a non-contest way. I'm thinking, what is happening with courtesy these days?

Everyone else was calling CQ SR, and I thought what the hey, may as well pick up some WA counties so I contested for a little while. I wasn't QRV for 17 then.

Edited to add: I have nothing against contesting; I casually jump in them from time to time.

8. N8AFT

I think you just hit the nail on the head OB....

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have five HF rigs: all HW-8's and all CW. So I don't have to wonder where the heck I stowed the microphone.

When I have a hankering to operate phone, I use my cellphone...and sparingly so.

72/73,
    Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

W5BIB and N8AFT like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the best place for the microphone. Saves having to spend hard earned dollars on some fancy microphone dust cover (though old timers will tell you "just use an old sock").

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT
    http://alienjeff.net

N8AFT likes this.